• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Over the line in New York

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bmax849

What is the name of your state? New York
We have a family camp in the Adirondacks on a private lake. The camp has been owned by the family since the 1930's when my husbands Grandfather built it. The camp was divided into three lots, we own two of them, and a cousin owns the third.
The cousin lives in California and ignored his property until a few years ago.
He has disputed the property line and has not respected the marked boundaries. He has cut down trees, built a pump house and now has built a stairway with hand rails over the boundary. We had the property re-surveyed three years ago and all the boundaries clearly marked. He believes the survey is wrong and that whoever pays the surveyor, the surveyor will put the boundaries wherever they want them. I want to remove all of his infringing constructions, do I need to go to court or can I just take them down. Just what are our legal rights. The stairway was purposely built over the line on our property, his attitude is It's his property and no one is going to tell him he can't use it.
HELP

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">