• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Overly bright safety light

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

calisummer

What is the name of your state? California

My neighbors recently installed a very bright motion sensor light with two sulfur bulbs that are pointed at out bedroom window. When they come home at midnight (which they do about once a week) it wakes myself and my boyfriend up, because it lights the room up like daylight. Last night, I asked them not to turn the light on so late, and they said it was the law, for the safety of their tenants. They have two basement apartments that should not have access to the staircase for any reason. My question is: are people allowed to install lights like this without the consent of neighbors? They told me I need to put up dark curtains (we have miniblinds already, but they don't block the light at all,) but as a renter, I'd prefer not to spend a bunch of money on curtains, and I don't think my landlords would appreciate the holes put in the wall for the hardware.

Thank you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">