• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Owner of adjacent property had our trees cut down

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Chevfan2000

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Indiana

Background: House next door has set empty forever. The owner deeded it to her son. He *is* cleaning up the property. We (my husband and I) had agreed to split the cost of a tree removal with him as the tree pretty much was equally divided over the property line, but lots of branches over his roof. No problem. He asked if it was okay to trim some branches over his property (house) off a tree sat totally inside our fence. Fine, he had that right.

What actually happened: I came home to find the tree company truck in the yard next door with the cherry picker dangling OVER our backyard. Bear in mind we have a 6 ft. tall chain link fence. By the time I ran back there to call a halt to their chainsaw party, 3 additional trees on our property were cut down. AFTER I told them to stop, the owner of the tree company came inside our yard (after I left) and went ahead and took the stump down to about 6". I suppose this little part I can understand. He might as well clean up the mess he made. We kind of have been trying to ignore this whole mess after confronting the owner of the tree trimming company who admitted he "got a little carried away". Fast forward today. I hadn't even thought to look *behind* the garage. We've now counted 11 stumps from the recent festivities.

Monday, I'm going to call to get our property surveyed as we really aren't 100% sure where our lines are. After that is my concern. I can't find Indiana law on tree owner's rights after a neighbor has a tree company raze half your property.

Do we have any legal recourse?

I'm sick over this.

justalayman

he was given permission to enter your yard to remove the one tree. Beyond that he had no permission to be on your property nor to remove any more of your trees. While the police might ignore the trespass stating they had permission to enter, I do not see how they can ignore the damage to the trees.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">