• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Owners responsible for damage from renters

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

goldi

What is the name of your state?Hello! We own a townhouse condo and the one next to us is rented out to tenants. These tenants have attempted to steal our electricity and of late have been maliciously causing damage to our property. We have been contacting the condo assoc and the police for every incident and documenting. As we have no proof of who did the damage, just as 90% sure, there's not a lot the police can do. The renters are apparently being evicted (the owner can't be bothered to talk to us). We are attempting to get the police to follow up on a witness to the latest vandalism of my car. If the police have a suspect, but we don't press charges, can we hold the owner of the house responsible. Frankly we're scared of the renters retaliating against us more and she's the one who put them in without doing any sort of thorough background checks. We are afraid to go home every day, afraid they're going to do more damage, and the condo association, police AND owner can't be bothered to return calls to us. Is there anything that we can do?? Please help, we're completely miserable lately and really are just at the end of our ropes. We did absolutely nothing to end up next door to these people nor to have them damaging our property (we're guessing they're bitter about the eviction and connecting it to us somehow??). I'm so sorry this was long and don't know if I made sense as I am not sleeping well and am miserable. Is anyone responsible to do anything or help us or are we just SOL?

What is the name of your state? VA

Thank you!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">