• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Paying for the fence Issue

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dvanshaar

What is the name of your state? Utah

Around two years ago my husband and I bought our home, at the time there was no one living next to us. We both wanted a fence and so we put on in our our side of the boundary line, but really close to it. Well around six months later our neighbors moved in, One neighbor immediately paid for their half of our fence the other was renting out the house and we were not able to meet the person to ask about the fence at that time.

We just thought that if they don't connect to the fence, then we won't make them pay, Well six months ago, the renters of the house got the owner to put in a fence. and connected to our fence. In reference to this they didn't change anything to our fence they just put up a fence post right next to ours, but are still using the fence that we put up.

We found out about from the renters, the number of their landlord, and we called her. At the time whe gave a sob story about how she was putting up fences on all of her rental homes and she did not have enough money at this time to pay for her half of the fence. And if we would call back in six months, she might. Well we bought the story and waited.

We called her and she stated that out right that she wasn't going to pay for her half of the fence.

So after the long story, finally my questions. Can we make her pay for the fence? If we take her to small claims will we win? Or should we just take down our fence and in turn make her put up her own fence?

send her a letter RRR telling her that she is encroaching on your property and giving her 10 days to remove the fence from YOUR property. If she does not, hire a company to remove the portion attaching it to your property and then sue her in small claims court for the cost of doing that and WARN her that it WILL happen.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">