• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Petty, Psychotic Neighbor

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

subu64

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NE - I have a neighbor of 10 yrs who has recently decided to make my life miserable. I have always tried to stay on her "good" side because of the turmoil she has created with other neighbors. I've always stayed neutral for fear of her retaliation that I have witnessed with others and now she has turned on me. It began about a week ago when she came over and asked to use my computer, I usually oblige, however, this time I was using it myself and told her no. It must have really upset her because she was outside later that day and began yelling obscenities at me. Today was our garbage collection day and I placed my container on the street near the curb like I have done for the past 10 years. A short while later I noticed that my container was moved right in front of my mailbox (postman won't deliver) and it was overturned. I picked it all up and it happened again, this time I realized it wasn't just an accident and picked it up once again. The third time it happened, I called the police but she denied doing it and they said that it is her word against mine. They recently moved their dog kennel right next to my fence beside my patio table - I spend a lot of time outside and now the dogs bark constantly. I haven't reported that for fear of more revenge but I mentioned to the police today and they said that if I called it in, the officer would have to actually hear their dog barking (they have a police scanner and have time to hurry their dogs in). I am a renter and today my landlord contacted me telling me that she has called them everyday for the last week telling them that I have people living with me, I'm having loud parties, that I'm doing drugs, etc. The landlord also said she has called the police dept, sanitation dept, the Postmaster, etc., making accusations against me. I am not that way at all - I have a teaching degree but, ironically, have spent my career in social work and should know how to handle this! I am so scared of what she is capable of doing. I do have a dog and I worry that she may throw poison into my back yard. So far, all I can get is that "it is her word against yours" and nothing too criminal to get her on yet. This is exactly what other neighbors have had do deal with and they finally either moved or let it calm down, it's been three years of feuding and now they're relieved the heat is off of them. I regret not letting her use my computer but now what recourse to I have?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Do you have a web camera? If not, get one and hook up your computer with it near a window that faces the trashcan. if she's still moving it, you can catch her on camera. Or designate it to monitor the dogs in the backyard when you can't. Record phone calls and hope she says something she shouldn't.

I wouldn't worry too much about the landlord, because she probably has a record of calling about ridiculous things on other nieghbors. Same with everything else. While some are required to investigate every call, some may not take it as seriously if she is a repeat caller.

FarmerJ

If your local PD gets enough complaints from her that have no basis they might decide to charge her with making false reports. Other than that record record record!

BL

I find it hard to beleive this is all about a denial of internet use ( one time ) .

Tallrat

I find it hard to beleive this is all about a denial of internet use ( one time ) .
I see you never had a psychotic neighbor! Almost same thing happened to me but it was over a wheel barrel. I loaned it to neighbor and 2 weeks later I retrieved it from his back yard and the fun began. Cop's got tired of his complaints and told him he would go to jail on next bogus complaint.

PLEASE PEOPLE!!!! We just MOVED because of a psychotic neighbor. She called the police on us over and over accusing us of trying to kill her with our cars, assaulting her, etc... We had trash in the backyard, RAZORS on the grass in the front yard, we called the police when she drove around for 3 MONTHS with expired tags and no insurance and they did NOTHING!@!!!!! We reported every illegal thing they did to the police and they did NOTHING!!!!!!!

So, how did I get my revenge? I reported them to the IRS ( they had multiple ss#'s), I reported them to social services ( they were getting 7 checks a month for assistance when they only had one child), I turned them into the HOA when they built their fence in the wrong place. There are things you can do. I also did set up a camera and caught them on tape doing their 20 drive bys a day!!!! The police warned them to cut the crap or else!!!!

I have to note that our neighbors did the same thing you did, they stayed out of it by being nice to them and ignoring us!! We were ostracised for doing nothing. now that we are gone, they have started in on someone else. The neighbors could have banded together and gotten rid of these bullies but they took the safe route and now are paying for it!!!. You did the same and left others out to dry, now you reap what you sew.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">