• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Planned Driveway

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Matsu2014

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MD
Hello:
I plan to build driveway near future. My family has three different sized cars, big, med. and small.

My planned driveway is very close to my next neighbor's bedroom and he's elderly. He's telling me that driveway brings 'noise' along with 'pollution' to his bedroon, both of which causes him not to able to get 'good-night sleep' along with his daily nap. He says he's dealing with few health-issues due to his age and the rest/sleep is most importan part of his everyday's life.

Seeing my next neighbor's unwillingness for my planned driveway, my concern is whether I am able to get 'permit' for building driveway?

Thanks for any suggestions to this.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MD
Hello:
I plan to build driveway near future. My family has three different sized cars, big, med. and small.

My planned driveway is very close to my next neighbor's bedroom and he's elderly. He's telling me that driveway brings 'noise' along with 'pollution' to his bedroon, both of which causes not to able to get 'good-night sleep' along with his daily nap. He says he's dealing with few health-issues due to his age and the rest/spleep is most importan parts of his everyday's life.

Seeing my next neighbor's unwillingness for my planned driveway, my concern is whether I am able to get 'permit' for building driveway?

Thanks for any suggestions to this.
You will need to follow all local laws/ordinances regarding the driveway construction. I would suggest that you find out from your local municipality what the requirements are.

Matsu2014

You will need to follow all local laws/ordinances regarding the driveway construction. I would suggest that you find out from your local municipality what the requirements are.
Thanks for the quick response.

One of my friends built driveway only few months ago and told me to get 'appeal' if there is an issue to this. However, even after the appeal which he says mostly likely 'pass,' however there are more to go.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Thanks for the quick response.

One of my friends built driveway only few months ago and told me to get 'appeal' if there is an issue to this. However, even after the appeal which he says mostly likely 'pass,' however there are more to go.
You will need to check with your local folks. Don't build without the proper permits.

154NH773

Requirements vary between towns, counties and state.

Most require a permit if you intend to create a new or expanded access to a public road. The permit is usually based on safety, and not on neighbor's opinions. A denial of this type of permit may be difficult to appeal, and you would probably have to modify or move the driveway cut to meet safety concerns.

If you already have a driveway cut, and only want to pave additional personal property, that would usually fall under local municipal ordinances or building codes. A permit may, or may not, be required. If a permit is required for work on your property, and you meet all requirements of the local codes, the permit cannot be denied.

If you need a permit for work on your property and don't satisfy the local ordinance, you can ask for a variance and your neighbor will be able to protest. If you are denied, you can appeal, but it's questionable whether you would succeed. Variances are not granted if there is "damage" to a neighboring property value.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">