• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Planning an adverse possession

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

threetoe

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California
Hi all,
I have a friend that is in an interesting situation. He is a professional that lives in a well off southern California city and got into a big fight with his wife. She kicked him out of the house and being the rugged outdoorsman that he is, is camped out on top of a nearby mountain near where we used to go rock climbing in College. He's been up there for 3 weeks so far. Things are still on the rocks with his wife and he seems to like it up there. I have visited him a couple of times and joked that he should pay the property tax and it would eventually be his. Well, I read a bit more about it and researched who owns the property. No one seems to care that he is there. There are 4 foot tall trees growing in the middle of the road. Nobody has at least driven there in at least 15 years. I found that the land is owned by a wealthy elderly gentleman for many decades and has never done anything with it. It is a significant amount of land worth between 4-8million undeveloped and up to 30 million developed.
My friend lives an hour and fifteen minutes from work. He will regularly go there and work 16 hour days and sleep at a friends house up to 5 or so days in a row. Then he will have a week or two off where he can sleep on the mountain. I read that the land must be continually occupied and that you must treat it like your own. He is a busy guy and will often arrive at his house late and leave early.

1. Is my friends schedule consistent with an adverse possession claim? What does case law suggest about: the minimum amount of time spent on the property, Appropriate reasons for leaving for a short time, Evidence admitted by the owner that he showed up and nobody was there.

I have read that you need to fence the land or, put another way, exclude the real owner. Is this true? or do you just need to be there? Some parts of the property are so steep and covered with rocks and bushes that they almost serve as a natural barrier. There is one fence that is locked on the road in. It is apparent that the fence has not been opened in many years.

2. Would simply changing the lock on the gate satisfy this requirement of excluding the owner and not having to fence the entire property or just possess the property? What does case law suggest?

I have read that you need to occupy the property as your own and "improve" the property in some way. What if he built a small one room structure with a small water tank? Planted trees and cut all of the bushes out of the road so you could drive in there? Put up his own mailbox and received all his mail there etc. Anything else he should document? How much improvement is really needed? What does case law suggest?

I have read all of the very general information about adverse possession and understand the basic concepts. What I lack are the details to help my friend come out at the end of 5 years successfully.

Thanks for your help.

FlyingRon

Unless he is paying property taxes on the land he will NEVER obtain adverse possession of it in California. It's unlikely that he will be able to do this unless the registered owner is not paying taxes. The whole AP procedure is set up not to you can get property by squatting on it, but clearing title in your name after having the extended appearance that it belongs to you. There's no obligation that an owner ever visit or develop his property.

threetoe

Thanks FlyingRon,
A very good point. I contacted the local County tax assessor and asked them what they would do if they recieved two different payments for the same piece of property. They said Whatever payment they received second they would return the check uncashed. I imagine they would do the same if you made a tax payment and was very vague about what parcel you are paying on. So one of the wrinkles is to get the tax assessor to actually accept the payments.

FarmerJ

If a property tax desk payment process person returned my payment for no reason known to me don't you think most people would 1 call the property tax desk to learn what happened then insist they fix it ( as they re send that payment maybe even by certified mail? ) 2 if it were to happen a second time and It was my land I would either go there my self or arrange for another person to investigate on my behalf and then once I discovered what was going on Id have no problem taking reasonable steps to remove whom ever it was that was messing with my property / building things, using the land etc .

Just Blue

Hi all,
I have a friend that is in an interesting situation. He is a professional that lives in a well off southern California city and got into a big fight with his wife. She kicked him out of the house and being the rugged outdoorsman that he is, is camped out on top of a nearby mountain near where we used to go rock climbing in College. He's been up there for 3 weeks so far. Things are still on the rocks with his wife and he seems to like it up there. I have visited him a couple of times and joked that he should pay the property tax and it would eventually be his. Well, I read a bit more about it and researched who owns the property. No one seems to care that he is there. There are 4 foot tall trees growing in the middle of the road. Nobody has at least driven there in at least 15 years. I found that the land is owned by a wealthy elderly gentleman for many decades and has never done anything with it. It is a significant amount of land worth between 4-8million undeveloped and up to 30 million developed.
My friend lives an hour and fifteen minutes from work. He will regularly go there and work 16 hour days and sleep at a friends house up to 5 or so days in a row. Then he will have a week or two off where he can sleep on the mountain. I read that the land must be continually occupied and that you must treat it like your own. He is a busy guy and will often arrive at his house late and leave early.

1. Is my friends schedule consistent with an adverse possession claim? What does case law suggest about: the minimum amount of time spent on the property, Appropriate reasons for leaving for a short time, Evidence admitted by the owner that he showed up and nobody was there.

I have read that you need to fence the land or, put another way, exclude the real owner. Is this true? or do you just need to be there? Some parts of the property are so steep and covered with rocks and bushes that they almost serve as a natural barrier. There is one fence that is locked on the road in. It is apparent that the fence has not been opened in many years.

2. Would simply changing the lock on the gate satisfy this requirement of excluding the owner and not having to fence the entire property or just possess the property? What does case law suggest?

I have read that you need to occupy the property as your own and "improve" the property in some way. What if he built a small one room structure with a small water tank? Planted trees and cut all of the bushes out of the road so you could drive in there? Put up his own mailbox and received all his mail there etc. Anything else he should document? How much improvement is really needed? What does case law suggest?

I have read all of the very general information about adverse possession and understand the basic concepts. What I lack are the details to help my friend come out at the end of 5 years successfully.

Thanks for your help.
Do i understand you correctly? Your "friend" has a snit with his wife, camps out for a few weeks on a strangers property and now has asked you to see if he can take over this old man's multi-million dollar bit of land?? Really? Is your "friend" human?:(

Last edited:

Silverplum

Even if this scheme was legal, and I won't bother to read a dang thing to find out, I would not lift a finger to help you and your icky little friends to STEAL.

Gah.

Eekamouse

Hi all,

Thanks for your help.
Yeech! Since when is being an opportunistic scumbag considered a profession? Tell your friend to quit looking for a way to steal a complete stranger's land from him. What a couple of jerks you and your buddy are. No wonder his wife kicked him to the curb.

latigo

Yeech! Since when is being an opportunistic scumbag considered a profession? Tell your friend to quit looking for a way to steal a complete stranger's land from him. What a couple of jerks you and your buddy are. No wonder his wife kicked him to the curb.
KUDOS!

You took the words right out of my natural born mouth.

May a gathering of California rattlesnakes (Northern or Southern, don't matter) hold a convention in contemptible friend's fetid bed roll.

threetoe

I actually agree with everything you guys are saying. A pretty unsavory topic that is pretty much using the law to steal. Agreed. The other side is... in this area a single wide trailer in a trailer park costs 400K plus 1K per month fee. Even people making 150K can't buy a house. While most folks that own land here (many own hundreds of acres for 50+ years) are well off and don't associate it with use or housing or anything. Simply a means to maintain wealth in a tax free vehicle that will rise in value with inflation.

Eekamouse

I actually agree with everything you guys are saying. A pretty unsavory topic that is pretty much using the law to steal. Agreed. The other side is... in this area a single wide trailer in a trailer park costs 400K plus 1K per month fee. Even people making 150K can't buy a house. While most folks that own land here (many own hundreds of acres for 50+ years) are well off and don't associate it with use or housing or anything. Simply a means to maintain wealth in a tax free vehicle that will rise in value with inflation.
The cost of housing in that area is totally irrelevant and does not have anything to do with this. Or do you think the land owners who are not doing anything with their land are behind the high cost of housing and therefore should be made to suffer for it? Ridiculous rationalization if that's what your comments were meant to imply.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">