• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Planting Trees in Charlotte, NC

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

CharlotteTrees

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? North Carolina
I am planting 11 leyland cypress trees in Charlotte, NC. I live in Mecklenberg County in a heavily wooded neighborhood. Lot is about .75 acres (at least half of which is trees).

I initially planted 11 trees on what I thought was the border between myself and my neighbor in our front yards. The wife approached me angrily stating that they trees were on her property. I didn't think so but told her I would move them if she told me where she wanted them. She insisted that my driveway was on her property. Spoke to the husband. He wasn't concerned except that his wife was angry. I agreed again to move the trees if they told me where they thought the line was. They got a surveyor. I was about a foot over the line. My bad. The wife mandated that I plant the trees 3 feet from the property line.

How far do I legally have to plant the trees from the property line?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I am planting 11 leyland cypress trees in Charlotte, NC. I live in Mecklenberg County in a heavily wooded neighborhood. Lot is about .75 acres (at least half of which is trees).

I initially planted 11 trees on what I thought was the border between myself and my neighbor in our front yards. The wife approached me angrily stating that they trees were on her property. I didn't think so but told her I would move them if she told me where she wanted them. She insisted that my driveway was on her property. Spoke to the husband. He wasn't concerned except that his wife was angry. I agreed again to move the trees if they told me where they thought the line was. They got a surveyor. I was about a foot over the line. My bad. The wife mandated that I plant the trees 3 feet from the property line.

Anything that goes over the line becomes their responsibility. The issue is they can then cut back the tree provided they don't kill it if it is on their property. Why do you want to plant the trees on the line? How important is your relationship with your neighbors?

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken

Wasps love those trees.

Why not keep the peace with the neighbors and plant them 3 foot over? Or somewhere else on the property? :cool:

Cedrus

The trees get pretty wide over time. If you want to screen out the neighbor, there are lots of alternatives that will not cross the property line and if you plant thick, will be a fine screen.

CharlotteTrees

My relationship with those neighbors is significantly less important than it was before my neighbor began her rant. I can give 3 feet. I don't want to have any more dealings with her for any reason whatsoever.

I know that those trees can get huge. In 5 years they may still encroach.

I didn't know about the wasps. What are good alternatives? I don't want to see their house. Every time I come home she's out her window looking. I like vigilant neighbors but don't like nosy neighbors.

Silverplum

My relationship with those neighbors is significantly less important than it was before my neighbor began her rant. I can give 3 feet. I don't want to have any more dealings with her for any reason whatsoever.

I didn't know about the wasps. What are good alternatives? I don't want to see their house. Every time I come home she's out her window looking. I like vigilant neighbors but don't like nosy neighbors.
We're a legal site.

Try your local NC Cooperative Extension Center: http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/local-county-center/

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

Her rant? YOU TRIED TO STEAL HER PROPERTY by planting trees on it. Good grief. Looks like YOU may be the issue in this dispute.

Just Blue

Try something that does not encroach on neighbors property or yard. :rolleyes:

CharlotteTrees

Her rant? YOU TRIED TO STEAL HER PROPERTY by planting trees on it. Good grief. Looks like YOU may be the issue in this dispute.
Easy easy. I didn't 'steal' anyone's land. I planted a tree. Read my entire post before getting dramatic. if it makes you feel better, after doing the survey we found that they are using my land in the back corner of the yard. No one 'stole' anything.

and let's be realistic here. Planting a TREE doesn't constitute STEALING anything. If anything it's an unauthorized land improvement. For which I did apologize and told her I would move them. She didn't know where the line was either.

cool your jets

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Easy easy. I didn't 'steal' anyone's land. I planted a tree. Read my entire post before getting dramatic. if it makes you feel better, after doing the survey we found that they are using my land in the back corner of the yard. No one 'stole' anything.

and let's be realistic here. Planting a TREE doesn't constitute STEALING anything. If anything it's an unauthorized land improvement. For which I did apologize and told her I would move them. She didn't know where the line was either.

cool your jets
You took control of her property as if it were yours. If in looks like a duck and sounds like a duck...

CharlotteTrees

You took control of her property as if it were yours. If in looks like a duck and sounds like a duck...
when I cut the grass or the neighbor cuts the grass we each go over the boundary. Are we each stealing each other's property each time we do that? The neighbor has a tarp and piles of leaves on my property. is he stealing my land? No and No. Maybe you people are taking it more seriously than I am. He has a tarp and leaves on my lawn. He has trees that hang into my yard. He cuts my grass sometimes. I don't feel any way about it. neither does he. His wife got bent out of shape. I didn't. He didn't. I don't care.

But back to my question**************...(you can admonish me later)**************.how far from the line do the trees legally need to be planted. (try to control your ADD and answer the question if you can)

Just Blue

when I cut the grass or the neighbor cuts the grass we each go over the boundary. Are we each stealing each other's property each time we do that? The neighbor has a tarp and piles of leaves on my property. is he stealing my land? No and No. Maybe you people are taking it more seriously than I am. He has a tarp and leaves on my lawn. He has trees that hang into my yard. He cuts my grass sometimes. I don't feel any way about it. neither does he. His wife got bent out of shape. I didn't. He didn't. I don't care.

But back to my question**************...(you can admonish me later)**************.how far from the line do the trees legally need to be planted. (try to control your ADD and answer the question if you can)
lol...If you are half as a charmer to the neighbor as you are here...Expect a suit. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">