• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Possible Fence issues with neighbor

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

glg

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NJ (Morris County)

I had a property survey done and had corners marked.

I put up a chain link fence along the back of my property. Fence is 6 inches from the property line.
Fence was needed to stop daily traffic of people and animals walking through my yard.
Shrubs were planted to provide privacy....they are still growing in.

Neighbor in back of me, kids and dogs were always cutting through the yard.
Also, their in ground sprinkler heads were on my property. After fence went up, sprinkler head were removed.
they did not have any fence on their property.

Now the neighbor has installed an in ground pool and hot tub.
They put up a fence on the sides of their property.
But not the back of their property.
They are using my fence.

I thought that fences were required for in ground swimming pools....
Is that correct??

The post of the fence they put up on the side seems (I didn't measure it yet) to be over the property line.

Questions:

Are they required to put up a fence on their property to enclose their in ground swimming pool?
Are they allowed to use my fence on my property to enclose a swimming pool on their property.????

Can I have them move their side fence?

They also built a fence on that encroaches on another neighbors property.

I don't think that it is fair that they are using a fence that is not even on the line?

Please, any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

154NH773

Ask them to remove the post if it is on your property and inform them that your fence is 6" on your side of the line, and they may not attach to it without your permission. Whether you want to grant permission or not is your prerogative. If you do grant permission, make sure you document that fact (perhaps with a written agreement that you can rescind at any time) so that the can never claim adverse possession.

You might also check with the town to see if all necessary permits were obtained for the pool and hot tub, and if the fence they installed is approved and adaquate for its intended purpose.

Last edited:

csi7

I agree. They are responsible to ensure they have fenced inside of their property line for their swimming pool and tub.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">