• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Posting a sign with directions to our neighbors marijuana farm

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

RRTraveler

What is the name of your state: Oregon.

I live in Oregon where the growing of medical marijuana is legal by state law. Our neighbor has a large farm adjacent and behind our property. Because we have a mutual access road, people are knocking at our door all the time looking for the neighbor, who does not actually live at his farm. We are not in favor of his line of work and are tired of being bothered by his associates and have put up a sign annoucing the marijuana farm and directions on the sign of how to get to it. The neighbor has not tried to hide the fact that he has a pot farm and therefore, I would think that the confidentiality issue would be a moot point. We know that the sign may be an invasion of their privacy, but the constant knocking on our door, the intermitent gun fire and the incredible smell that emanates from the plants during the summer and fall are also an invasion of our privacy. Do any of you out there have this problem and how have you handled it??
I know there are many of you out there that approve of the marijuana farms and your pro comments will be highly unnecessary and a waste of your time. You will not convince me to change my mind about the current status of the marijuana laws. I think they are ridiculous in the states that have medical marijuana!!! If you have a farm, keep it to yourself and don't infringe on your neighbors!!!

tranquility

Unless you came to the knowledge in a confidential or wrong manner (They told you as their attorney/psychologist/priest or you found out by trespassing or something.), I don't see a problem with it.

I'm not sure I'd want to get into a battle with people who are involved with "intermitent gun fire", but it is your call.

ecmst12

You could just put up a sign saying "We have no marijuana here and we don't know where you can get any" instead of telling them where to go.

RRTraveler

Posting marijuana sign

Thanks for all the suggestions, they are all fantastic and some are quite inventive.
As far as the gunfire issue, I think we probably have alot more guns than they do if it should become an issue.
We live on 14 acres up in the forest and protection is a necessary evil. You would think that with 14 acres that would be peace between you and your neighbors, but what can I say. The access road cannot be moved and the wind, like any act of God, will carry the shunk smell for a great distance!! We were the only ones around for over 5 years and now this, I guess we got spoiled!!

tranquility

As far as the gunfire issue, I think we probably have alot more guns than they do if it should become an issue.
Sure, if they walk up to your front door armed. But, that's not the way people who shoot at people usually act.

Crazy or criminal counts for a lot in a fight. Unless one is constantly on guard, they almost always get the first punch in. In this case, bullet.

RRTraveler

Marijuana Farm Sign

Since these guys moved in a year ago, we had a 360 degree surveillance system of continuous camera recordling just in case anything should happen. We also have installed a really good alarm system. There are enough audible motion detectors that if anyone approaches without notice we will know.
I know this sounds like we live in continuous fear, but that is really not the issue. We are fairly free on our property. My husband and I have CCW permits and are generally armed.
My main reason for posting was that i don't appreciate pot growers and wish they would go elsewhere. Whatever we can do to spearhead that is going to be done.
"You are guilty" your suggested sign was so great that we are placing it on a 4 foot x 4 foot sign on the wall of our well house, well in view of the access road. I think does not actually accuse anyone and if these guys move on, I doubt others will move in with a sign like that.
Thanks so much.

Last edited:

RRTraveler

Every marijuana grower here in Oregon is a coward! They lie, even to their own associates; they cheat and they steal!! They hide behind the medical marijuana scam and are then arrested with their pot trafficking it to other states. This guy next to us got arrested in August in Oklahoma. He has his arraignment next month, hopefully he will get some substantial jail time. They generally put up huge fences and do their best to not be noticed. When confronted they are spineless wonders. A sign telling everyone where they are will definitely make them move. I was just concerned about the legal ramifications, but several lawyers have contacted me and said that as long as what is on the sign it true, there is no problem. They have also said to contact zoning about the smell and possibly start a civil suit.
Thanks for all the help on this site, I have gotten so much information!!

154NH773

I think they are ridiculous in the states that have medical marijuana!!! If you have a farm, keep it to yourself and don't infringe on your neighbors!!!
These are personal and emotional statements and have nothing to do with the law or your situation. Don't get emotional, look at best solutions.

Posting your property is probably the best solution. Putting up a sign pointing to the neighbor's farm might help avoid nusiance visitors, but maybe you should point the sign in the WRONG direction. There would be nothing wrong with that (unless it violated local sign ordinances), and it might really confuse their visitors.

If they are within the law, there is very little you can do. Perhaps you could claim the smell is a nusiance, but that hasn't helped many people that complain over cow manure.

My father used to complain about his neighbors, and I used to tell him to buy their property. I'd suggest the same thing to you.

LdiJ

This is a bit of a hijack, but I am really curious....do pot plants really have a smell that carries across open spaces? Fields of flowers don't carry a smell a distance.

justalayman

Perhaps you could claim the smell is a nusiance, but that hasn't helped many people that complain over cow manure.
actually, unless the manure odor was present prior to a person buying property so located they would be subject to the smell, they can often do something about the odor of manure.

RRTraveler

Marijuana sign

Thought maybe you guys might want an update. Our sign drew the attention of one of our local news crews and they were here today to interview my husband and I. They wanted to hear the flip-side of the medical marijuana story. The reporter said that they always cover the boo-hoo stories of the growers and how they are persecuted by the public. this time she wanted a story from the people suffering the affects of the pot growers. We will be on the news tonight. Didn't exactly want this, but it might be s step in the right direction.
"You are guilty" she took a full-on photo of your quote that we put on the sign on the wall of our well house wall. Wish you could see it.
We will see what happens now!!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">