• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

posting a "specific person" no trespassing sign

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Indiana Filer

What is the name of your state? Indiana

The other day, while driving a couple miles from our home, my husband and I noticed that a homeowner has placed several signs on the fences around their yard. Being nosy, we slowed down and read them:

"No Trespassing Amanda Gold Southern" "Amanda Gold Southern: Keep Out!", etc. (I changed the name here.)

Now, I know it's legal to post no trespassing signs, but is it legal to post signs with a specific person's name on them like this? To me, it seems like this Amanda could have a case against the homeowner for defamation. Of course, I'm not an expert, which is why I'm asking all of you for your opinions.

The homeowner is one of those who constantly writes letters to the editor of the local paper ranting and raving about various issues. In these wide-ranging letters, she has proclaimed herself an expert on lots of things, even though she works as a clerk at Big Lots (a remainder store).

Thanks for indulging my curiousity.

kmo199

You've sure indulged mine.

Unless this "Amanda" is posted towards you or your family I
wouldn't worry too much about it.

The homeowner was probably bored, so he decided to
put this sign up for attention and entertainment.

Indiana Filer

kmo199 said:
You've sure indulged mine.

Unless this "Amanda" is posted towards you or your family I
wouldn't worry too much about it.

The homeowner was probably bored, so he decided to
put this sign up for attention and entertainment.
Not aimed at me and my family. I guess I'm just nosy. :eek:

I did a search on our local newspaper, and found a lot of letters to the editor written by the homeowner ranting and raving about various things that are wrong with society. I then searched on the "amanda" name that is on the signs, and WOW! Several arrests for harboring a criminal, possession of pot, speeding, etc. I don't think I'd want her on my property either.

Thanks for the replies

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">