• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Power Plant being built next door

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ca sheep farmer

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

My question is very different. We own/live on a 20 acre farm in Northern CA. We are considered unincorporated county. However, city land is 500 feet from our property.
The city has decided to lease the land, 500 feet from us, to a Power company. They plan on building a Natural Gas Fired Thermal Power plant. They have submitted their application to the State of CA energy division, which I have requested to be copied on all steps of the process. We have 9 known dry natural gas wells in our county.
This is going to be a loud noisy, air polluting, ground water polluting, and giant eye sore. In addition, I am concerned for my own family's health along with the health of our animals. Not to mention our property values will decline down to zero.

Our city council did an extremely poor job of notifying the surrounding homes. They only sent out a notice that they were "rezoning" the property, not what their plans were for the property.

My question is do I have any rights? Can I stop them from building this plant? Can I sue the city? And/or the Power Plant company?

Cedrus

So your 20 acres are outside the city limits? And 500 feet from you there is a sign saying "Now entering the City of xxxxx? Or did the City lease some land from the County in your unincorporated area? :confused:

154NH773

When the notice was received that the City Council was considering changing the zoning, that should have alerted you to the fact that there might be a consequence to you. Did you attend the meeting and voice your opinion?

For everyone out there; pay attention to the activities of your local officials, attend meetings, read minutes, and know your local ordinances and laws. If we don't pay more attention, a few individuals will make all the rules for us.

ca sheep farmer

response to power plant questions

The city owns the land that the power plant will be built on.
The city limits (from the county map) ends at the plant site. The site will be included in city limits. Our sheep farm is unincorporated (county on the map) across the street.
Since ONE neighbor received the initial notification he told a few the immediate farmers that would be affected. 5 farm owners showed up to the initial rezoning meeting and spoke to the city council. They could not see past the dollar signs that they will receive from the power company, which is estimated at 1.3 annually.
Cpuc.ca.gov DOES regulate. The location and prior process to the plant being built goes through the Environmental Protection Office, Energy Facilities Siting Division, California Energy Commission.
I have asked the county supervisors - how can the city move ahead with this project as the re-zoning took place in a GREENBELT, land that is suppose to be protected for farmers from growth.
Can we force the city council to take this to a county vote? Our city council tends to push things through on their own agenda and beg the voters for forgiveness later. But the damage is done.
I read in Utah where the same things is happening in Sievers county and a judge said they must take it to the voters to see if they want the plant or not.
BTW, our county has serval energy wind mills (I believe the most in CA) and several power plants in the area all ready.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">