• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Prescriptive Rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tgbenton

What is the name of your state? Hawaii
I have been utilizing a sliver of land next to my property which adjoins a approx 1,000 acres of land behind my home. There are several other access roads that can get to this large land mass. There has never been a problem with me using this small sliver of land as I have been landscaping it, and using it for parking and storage of vehicles for 7 years. There is rumor of a potential fence going up which would block my access and eliminating my use of it. Does Hawaii have a "Prescriptive Rights" law that allows my legal continuation of use, or are there other Hawaii laws that could protect me?

JETX

tgbenton said:
What is the name of your state? Hawaii
I have been utilizing a sliver of land next to my property which adjoins a approx 1,000 acres of land behind my home. There are several other access roads that can get to this large land mass. There has never been a problem with me using this small sliver of land as I have been landscaping it, and using it for parking and storage of vehicles for 7 years. There is rumor of a potential fence going up which would block my access and eliminating my use of it. Does Hawaii have a "Prescriptive Rights" law that allows my legal continuation of use, or are there other Hawaii laws that could protect me?
According to Hawaii statutes, in order to claim 'adverse possession' on someone elses property, the first requirement is that you have claimed the property for a MINIMUM of 20 years.
For additional requirements, and the actual statutes, go to: http://www.capitol.hawaii.gov/hrscurrent/Vol13_Ch0601-0675/HRS0669/

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">