• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Previous Owner put barn on our property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

barnstormer

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?North Carolina

BACKGROUND: My wife and I bought our house about a year ago. We followed all common purchasing tasks (ie. ernest money, inspections, bids, etc). All seemed well until closing day ( 30 minutes before the scheduled closing) when the seller decided to back out of the deal. Since we were under contract we threatened to force them to sell, but came to the agreement that the owners would rent the house from us after closing for an unspecified amount of time on a per diem basis, and we were not allowed to enter the house or property during this time. During this period they had Home Depot build a 15'x30' storage barn to put their possessions in. Unfortunately the barn is on the property we purchased. And built after closing

CURRENTLY: The family that we purchased the property from had the land surveyed (I didn't do so since I had a copy of the survey from 1998 that was provided when we bought the property). And have sent us a letter offering us $600 for the property. We are not interested. They also said that they would move the barn if we were not interested in selling.

QUESTIONS: 1. Can I trade an easement, allowing the barn to stay where it is without losing ownership of the land, in exchange for full ownership of the driveway (which I only have a right-away)?

2. By law, can I claim the barn as mine since it is on my property?

3. What is a reasonable time frame for them to move the barn if niether of the above is possible?

Thanks for any help
DT

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">