• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Prisoner in my own home

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LifeHappens

What is the name of your state? New York

I live in the country on 1.5 acres, same as my neighbor next door in Western NY. Whenever I go outside, their dog barks at me non stop until I go back inside the house (the dog also comes onto my property whenever they let the poor thing off of it's leash, it also chases my 15-year old cat). I waited for 2 months to see if they would do anything about it. Nothing happened. I have asked them many times in the past 5 or 6 weeks -- in a nice tone of voice and in a friendly way -- if they could please do something about the constant barking. They said they would but they haven't. I offered a solution (suggested by my other next door neighbors because it annoys them too) to move the dog and dog house behind their house so that they still have a watch dog and the dog won't bark at me when I'm in my own yard (their house would block the dog's view of me in my backyard). Nothing happened.

I didn't want it to come to this, but tonight we had a screaming match. Despite my careful attempts, she got defensive because I told her that I have asked nicely, repeatedly to keep the dog off of my property and to do something about the dog constantly barking at me when I'm in my own backyard. She said she hopes her dog barks all the time (it already does whenever I'm outside) -- that if I said anything that they (meaning the authorities) would do nothing about it anyway.

I did not want to come to bad terms with my neighbors but I feel that they have left me no option if I want peace and quiet (within reason) in my own backyard. I actually feel sorry for the dog -- they keep it chained up 99% of the time and don't do anything with it. I'm sure it is barking for attention more than anything. I tried to explain to her to teach the dog to no avail.

I have been a good neighbor to them since they moved in over a year ago. I am nice and welcomed them to the nieghborhood and I mind my own business. I just want the same in return. Being a blue collar, single person, I financially can't afford a fence or planting a hedge right now, much less legal counsel.

What can I do that I haven't tried already? What legal options do I have? I would sincerely appreciate any advice that you can give. Thank You.

Rossmeister

LifeHappens said:
What is the name of your state? New York

I live in the country on 1.5 acres, same as my neighbor next door in Western NY. Whenever I go outside, their dog barks at me non stop until I go back inside the house (the dog also comes onto my property whenever they let the poor thing off of it's leash, it also chases my 15-year old cat). I waited for 2 months to see if they would do anything about it. Nothing happened. I have asked them many times in the past 5 or 6 weeks -- in a nice tone of voice and in a friendly way -- if they could please do something about the constant barking. They said they would but they haven't. I offered a solution (suggested by my other next door neighbors because it annoys them too) to move the dog and dog house behind their house so that they still have a watch dog and the dog won't bark at me when I'm in my own yard (their house would block the dog's view of me in my backyard). Nothing happened.

I didn't want it to come to this, but tonight we had a screaming match. Despite my careful attempts, she got defensive because I told her that I have asked nicely, repeatedly to keep the dog off of my property and to do something about the dog constantly barking at me when I'm in my own backyard. She said she hopes her dog barks all the time (it already does whenever I'm outside) -- that if I said anything that they (meaning the authorities) would do nothing about it anyway.

I did not want to come to bad terms with my neighbors but I feel that they have left me no option if I want peace and quiet (within reason) in my own backyard. I actually feel sorry for the dog -- they keep it chained up 99% of the time and don't do anything with it. I'm sure it is barking for attention more than anything. I tried to explain to her to teach the dog to no avail.

I have been a good neighbor to them since they moved in over a year ago. I am nice and welcomed them to the nieghborhood and I mind my own business. I just want the same in return. Being a blue collar, single person, I financially can't afford a fence or planting a hedge right now, much less legal counsel.

What can I do that I haven't tried already? What legal options do I have? I would sincerely appreciate any advice that you can give. Thank You.

You might be able to contact animal control and see what you could do that way. They might be able to help. Good luck!

kfowler57

Is there a noise ordinance? I lived in the country, too, and also thought I couldn't do anything about noise but the sheriff's office told me there was, indeed a noise ordinance. The deputy has to witness it, though. They can't take your word for it. If the dog barks whenever you come outside, just go outside and call the deputy and hope the dog is still barking when they arrive.

LifeHappens

Noise Ordinance?

Thank you for your reply.
I don't know if there is a noise ordinance, but I'm going to call and find out. I'll be sure to keep in mind to be outside so they can witness the barking. I'll let you know how it turns out.
Thanks again.

nextwife

You know, my pooch barks furiously at STRANGERS when he's out there with me, but pays little attention to the neighbors he knows when they are out in their yards. Perhaps if you would get to KNOW the pooch, he'd take you for granted, the way my dog takes our various neighbor's presence for granted?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">