• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Private nuisance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

johnricca

I live in California

I am being sued by my neighbor for putting up a fence that blocks his view. My neighbor lives above me and has a fence with glass panes so he can have a view of the canyon I live in. I put the fence up for privacy to prevent him from looking into my yard. The fence is on my property and is less than 6 feet talll so it breaks no local ordinances. The question is what should I do and does he have a case against me?

Last edited:

htine30

Are you in a community with covenants?

You mention that you are not violating any local ordinances, but is this a planned community with CCRs? If so, your CCRs may have something in them that protects his views.

Even if you are not bound by CCRs, you're going to need a lawyer if he's actually suing you, not just threatening to sue you. I know from experience that unhappy neighbors love to mention attorneys and lawsuits, but will back down if they don't have a legal leg to stand upon.

divgradcurl

In addition to the CC&R's, if any, make sure that your property does not have a "sight easement" recorded on it -- California is one of the few states (maybe the only one) that recognizes "sight easements." That may take a trip to the title company to find out for sure...

johnricca

Thanks for the replies....Its not a planned community or CCR and there are no sight easements.

I actually was served with a summons and the lawsuit says that its a "private nuisance" because I blocked their view. From what I gather searching on the internet. California has no "right to a view" and as long as the fence is on my property and conforms to local codes I did nothing wrong. Am I correct in that thinking?

Last edited:

divgradcurl

johnricca said:
Thanks for the replies....Its not a planned community or CCR and there are no sight easements.

I actually was served with a summons and the lawsuit says that its a "private nuisance" because I blocked their view. From what I gather searching on the internet. California has no "right to a view" and as long as the fence is on my property and conforms to local codes I did nothing wrong. Am I correct in that thinking?
If your fence was constructed to code, and is permitted, then you probably don't have too much to worry about -- but since you've been served, you need to answer the complaint, either yourself or with the help of an attorney -- otherwise you'll lose by default.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">