• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

problem neighbor

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sara_lara669

The neighbor from hell

grass valley, nevada county, california

We are having a lot of problems with our neighbor. He is a drug addict and I suspect insane . He is growing "legal" marajuana in his back yard, and selling it. We also suspect that he is selling Meth as well. He constantly has coming and going traffic, and loud drunken parties, where they shoot off firearms. This has been ongoing for years, and until about a year ago we ignored it. Since then, things have gone sour. He has made threats to physically harm my family, friends, and pets. He has harrassed us to the point of insanity. We have called the cops on him several times, and nothing has been done. We have no home owners association, and don't know where else to turn. He has many of the other neighbors afraid to complain about him, due to his violence. We have tried to file a restraining order, but the judge said "be nieighborly, and work it out amongst yourselves." We recieved a mediation order that he has since violated. But the police never do anyting about him. He has a police scanner and listens to when they will be coming out to pay him a visit, so he can hide all the illegal stuff. His NID (nevada county irrigation district) pipe runs through our property. I don't believe that there is an easment. Is it within my legal rights to remove the pipe? What can be done about the firearms? What can be done about the drugs? What can be done about the harrassment? My family and I are at our wits end. This once peacful neighborhood has turned into a war zone. PLEASE HELP!!

There are other neighbors that have issues with this man, but they are not his main target and are not willing to step forward due to fear of him causing the same problems with them. One of the neighbors has contacted the FBI, due to the lack of action taken by the sheriff's dept. His mother owns the property, and he has a record for drug trafficing in Nevada and possibly in California as well. He is in his 30's, unable to hold a job, and pretty much thinks he is untouchable. I have been trying to keep a journal on the threats, commments, and activities that I have observed, and the traffic coming and going form his property. Should I get a surveilence camera and mic? Is that legal to survey the borders of my property on to his, or is that invasion of privacy?

Last edited:

divgradcurl

Is it within my legal rights to remove the pipe?
If there is no easement recorded on your deed, maybe -- but you should check to make sure there aren't any local or country ordinances that cover this. Contact your local public works to see if you can get any information on this. Check you deed to see if there is an easement recorded on it.

What can be done about the firearms?
Is it illegal to discharge firearms where you are? Check to see if there are any local or county ordinances that make what he is doing illegal. If there are, you can keep track of when this happens, and then go to the police and file a complaint (essentially a citizen's arrest).

What can be done about the drugs?
Contact the police. If they won't get involved, not sure what else you do. Contact your local media, maybe they will do a story. Contact your local city or county elected representative, maybe they can apply some pressure.

What can be done about the harrassment?
File for a restraining order. If the judge refuses again, get a lawyer involved to appeal. You may also be able to file a lawsuit for nuisance, depending on all of the facts of your situation.

My family and I are at our wits end. This once peacful neighborhood has turned into a war zone. PLEASE HELP!!
Based on everything else you have written, maybe you should consider moving to another neighborhood, if that is possible.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">