• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Problems with a neighbor...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

thanks!

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California
I live in San Francisco. 1) My downstairs neighbor has a large potted plant by her door that partially obstructs the driveway making it difficult for us to get out with our large vehicle. (There are visible scratches on the side of the fence).Furthermore, she also has plants and other items in her parking space, so she parks her vehicle further out compounding the difficultly of getting in and out of the parking area. She has been asked in writing to remove these things by the landlord who sent a letter to all the tenants in the building, however she has been uncooperative and the landlord is not pressing the issue. 2) This same neighbor has been harassing us in numerous ways; threatening to call the police over small noises in the evening time, she actually called the police on one occasion complaining of noise when small children were visiting around 7pm. Recently she is asking us not to smoke in our vehicle, in the parking area, or on the side of the building. The side of the building is by her door which she leaves open, however I smoke at least 15-20 feet away from her door. As far as I can tell we are not breaking any city smoking ordinances. Other tenants smoke in the parking area and in their vehicles as well but she has no complaints about them.My husband is ill and these problems are causing him a lot of stress. What can we do?

Hot Topic

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California
I live in San Francisco. 1) My downstairs neighbor has a large potted plant by her door that partially obstructs the driveway making it difficult for us to get out with our large vehicle. (There are visible scratches on the side of the fence).Furthermore, she also has plants and other items in her parking space, so she parks her vehicle further out compounding the difficultly of getting in and out of the parking area. She has been asked in writing to remove these things by the landlord who sent a letter to all the tenants in the building, however she has been uncooperative and the landlord is not pressing the issue. 2) This same neighbor has been harassing us in numerous ways; threatening to call the police over small noises in the evening time, she actually called the police on one occasion complaining of noise when small children were visiting around 7pm. Recently she is asking us not to smoke in our vehicle, in the parking area, or on the side of the building. The side of the building is by her door which she leaves open, however I smoke at least 15-20 feet away from her door. As far as I can tell we are not breaking any city smoking ordinances. Other tenants smoke in the parking area and in their vehicles as well but she has no complaints about them.My husband is ill and these problems are causing him a lot of stress. What can we do?
The police don't give noise complaints top priority. I doubt they'll do much about children playing "around" 7 p.m., especially if they don't hear anything when they arrive.

Call the City about smoking ordinances. I applaud any city that makes an effort to control it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">