• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Proper Way to Contact a Neighbor

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jonpaul42

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

The house next door to me is a rental property and in its backyard is a dying tree that's been shedding limbs over the past few years.

I sent a certified letter to the owner explaining the problem and asking him to remove the tree before it falls and hurts someone or damages my property. The letter was returned to me today from the post office as unclaimed. The postman told me he never picked up the letter at the post office.

I know the address I sent it to is correct. If I resend the letter to him via UPS or FedEx, I know it will get delivered and I can get proof of delivery, but I may not get a signature of the recipient. Does it matter if I don't get a signature when the letter is delivered?

Thank you for your insight.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

The house next door to me is a rental property and in its backyard is a dying tree that's been shedding limbs over the past few years.

I sent a certified letter to the owner explaining the problem and asking him to remove the tree before it falls and hurts someone or damages my property. The letter was returned to me today from the post office as unclaimed. The postman told me he never picked up the letter at the post office.

I know the address I sent it to is correct. If I resend the letter to him via UPS or FedEx, I know it will get delivered and I can get proof of delivery, but I may not get a signature of the recipient. Does it matter if I don't get a signature when the letter is delivered?

Thank you for your insight.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
You can send it UPS, signature required.

CraigFL

This is a person who knows what kinds of things arrive by certified mail. I suspect you will never get his signature on anything that will show you he received it. You may be able to fake him out with the UPS or FEDEX but probably not. He knew he wasn't expecting anything good from the USPS so he didn't retreive it...

If he's registered as a business, you should be able to find the Registered Agent and he will HAVE TO accept mail at that address.

jonpaul42

Thank you for the quick replies. I am well aware that I can require a signature with FedEx or UPS, but the letter may not get delivered with that constraint. This is what occurred when I sent it certified mail.

Am I better off getting the letter delivered without a signature, but with a FedEx or UPS proof of delivery showing it was left at the house on a certain date at a certain time?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Thank you for the quick replies. I am well aware that I can require a signature with FedEx or UPS, but the letter may not get delivered with that constraint. This is what occurred when I sent it certified mail.

Am I better off getting the letter delivered without a signature, but with a FedEx or UPS proof of delivery showing it was left at the house on a certain date at a certain time?
You don't have to use an envelope ;) Get creative. Send it in a box...maybe get a box from See's Candy or something along those lines ;)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">