• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Property Damage

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tina1500

Michigan - I’m not sure if this is the correct area, our neighbors have hit our porch with their car multiple times. Unfortunately we are unable to "catch them in the act". It is obvious that they are hitting our porch due to the damage on the side next to their driveway. They also have not voluntary told us that they have hit it. The lady does burnouts on the ice in the winter; the car is full of dents and marks, so I assume she runs into things all day. They have also repeatedly slammed their car door into the side of our house causing many dents in the siding, this we have caught them on. We are unsure what we can do about this considering we have no actual proof. We were talking of going to their house and asking for auto insurance information, but what if they deny doing this?:confused:

Thanks

HomeGuru

Michigan - I’m not sure if this is the correct area, our neighbors have hit our porch with their car multiple times. Unfortunately we are unable to "catch them in the act". It is obvious that they are hitting our porch due to the damage on the side next to their driveway. They also have not voluntary told us that they have hit it. The lady does burnouts on the ice in the winter; the car is full of dents and marks, so I assume she runs into things all day. They have also repeatedly slammed their car door into the side of our house causing many dents in the siding, this we have caught them on. We are unsure what we can do about this considering we have no actual proof. We were talking of going to their house and asking for auto insurance information, but what if they deny doing this?:confused:

Thanks
**A: build a solid concrete wall to protect your porch and other areas. Problem solved.

tina1500

Yes that will help with future problems, but the problem now is that our porch is falling down, a concrete wall will not repair that, and shouldn't they be held responsible?

HomeGuru

Yes that will help with future problems, but the problem now is that our porch is falling down, a concrete wall will not repair that, and shouldn't they be held responsible?
**A: then fix your porch and maybe contact your homeowner's insurance company if it's that bad.

tina1500

well yes, we have to fix the porch, that's a given, but we should not have to be responsible for this, I would think that their insurance has to take care of this. Why should our rates go up because of their error?

slybean2007

Proof

You will need proof with either insurance or court. And I think you are right to be worried about being able to prove this. Although you may believe they are the culprits (and they very well might be) you do have to have actual proof.

So far, you have not "caught them in the act." So, you don't even know with 100% certainty that it is them.

Set up a camera. Catch them in the act. Then approach them about fixing the porch. If they refuse - sue them in small claims.

Disclosure: I am not a lawyer.

tina1500

We definitely know that it is them, they tend to park very close to the house at times, they are the only car that goes in the driveway and they have left tire marks in the past on our lawn which we have pictures of

cyjeff

If we only had access to a crack group of people that would investigate this incident and try to find out whom had committed it....

Oh wait. They are called the police.

Call them.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">