• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Property damage by housemate pet

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sgameiro

I have rented a room in a condo (MD state) where 2 other professionals live. One of them has a cat. Last Fri the cat opened my room door (bad knob) and urinated all over my bed, ruining my 6-month old fiberbed and conforter. Price value around $400. It had already urinated twice on a series of clothing/bedding that I had in the common areas. The cat's owner says she will pay the sale price that I paid 6 months ago for both items.
These items are no longer on sale. I don't care how much she pays and I honestly do not recall how much I paid. I just want the exact same items back. Can I claim that or she does not have to replace my items?

I have rented a room in a condo (MD state) where 2 other professionals live. One of them has a cat. Last Fri the cat opened my room door (bad knob) and urinated all over my bed, ruining my 6-month old fiberbed and conforter. Price value around $400. It had already urinated twice on a series of clothing/bedding that I had in the common areas. The cat's owner says she will pay the sale price that I paid 6 months ago for both items.
These items are no longer on sale. I don't care how much she pays and I honestly do not recall how much I paid. I just want the exact same items back. Can I claim that or she does not have to replace my items?
Exactly how are these ruined? Your roomie is liable for what it takes to restore these items back into their condition as they existed prior to the cat taking aim, not replacement unless the cost is less to replace than it is to clean.

It's cat piss, clean it up and move on with your life.

DoRight

I'm assuming that a fiberbed cannot be cleaned, right? That you have to replace it? If so, then I agree with HuAi.

As to cleaning up the cat piss and moving on, well, lol. Right. My advice is to get rid of the cat and move on.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">