• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Property damage from neighbor's contractor

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mlarocco

What is the name of your state? NY
My neighbor hired a contractor to clear some of his land ajoining my property. While the contractor was clearing the property with a bulldozer, he came onto my property by about 27 ft and bulldozed about 20 trees. I have been told that the property owner is responsible for the damage his contractors do to others property but the owner claims that he is NOT responsible. Who is correct?

Thanks

CaringDad

I believe that your neighbor is responsible to you for the damages, as the contractor was in his employ at the time of the damage. He will most likely be able to recover all of that money he owes you from the contractor, as they actually caused the damage. But as the one they were working for at the time, I believe he is responsible to you for the damage. A lawyer would be the best person to ask, as local law might contradict everything I just said.

seniorjudge

What is the name of your state? NY
My neighbor hired a contractor to clear some of his land ajoining my property. While the contractor was clearing the property with a bulldozer, he came onto my property by about 27 ft and bulldozed about 20 trees. I have been told that the property owner is responsible for the damage his contractors do to others property but the owner claims that he is NOT responsible. Who is correct?

Thanks
Sue both of them.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">