• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

property dispute over shared walkway..

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

livengood

Question bout a shared walkway that runs between mine and neighbors property?
I live in PA..Ok I have questions bout my property line so I got a survey done. There is a sidewalk walkway that runs between mine and my neighbors back yards.. Upon getting the survey done the sidwalk is a little over halfway on my side of the property line.. I want to claim my property so I can put up a wood fence for privacy and have a seperate walkway within my property.. There is a cement retaining wall also that runs from one end of my property to their property, which is falling over and needs replaced. What rights do I have to remove the existing walkway and retaining wall that is on my side?? Can I just cut right down the property line and remove whats on my side? Also : the deed to my house has no mention of a "SHARED WALKWAY" I think Pa has a 21 yr minimum on adverse possesion and easement. (Is this 21 years from previous owners in total? and How can you find out? or do I need to have personally lived here for 21 years? I have lived here 6 yrs and my neighbor less then that maybe 4...Ps.. My neighbors are very lazy(they've had a couch in their backyard for a year) and do no upkeep on their property they also have 5 kids. SO,I WANT MY PRIVACY..

FarmerJ

Id say Niether of you have lived in your homes long enough to be able to make any kind of claim of easement to the other party. SO I would suggest using the links above and talk to a atty about your cutting the sidewalk right at the property line and talk to the atty about the best wording for a notice to nieghbor that they no longer have permission to use any part of your property , of course this is likely to anger the nieghbor Id say since there was no attempt by either land owner in the past to legally claim a interest in the others land any claim made now would be one heck of a tough one to prove. Best luck to you and make sure you atleast talk to a atty , even if you had to pay a consult fee , its better than acting with out advice regarding your states laws.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">