• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Property line dispute

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

thehighroad

What is the name of your state? Washington
For 15-20 yrs a fence has separated our property from the adjacent property; much of it filled w/trees and bushes as a buffer between the properties. We have maintained it (mowed /clipped) the past 5 yrs and are clear this side of the fence has been maintained by residents in this house fully 15-20 years. Recently someone purchased the property, is at the end of building what was rumored a "spec" house, and had the property resurveyed w/stakes marking a boundary 15 feet from the fence into our property.
I questioned it - nicely - and shared that I believed that in this state if one can prove they have maintained an ajoining property for 7+ year that they have some property rights. He said he would be our new neighbor and threatened to "make your life a living hell if you try to take my property." He then said that if we didn't get attorneys involved he would leave the buffer as is. Two months later I asked when he plans to move in; he is pleasant but states he may have to sell it. I told him that if that happened I would like to discuss an easement prior to selling. He said yes; but frankly I don't trust his word or that he wouldn't vandalize us.
My question: if he sells it do I lose rights for an easement? Any advice is appreciated.

seniorjudge

Buy the strip of land; don't just get an easement.

And, obviously, it must all be done in writing.

Do NOT do this without a lawyer and a title search. (Bad neighbor already has a survey; you will need to use that also.)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">