• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Property line dispute

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jes&Den

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Help we live in MASSACHUSETTS.
We have a problem with our neighbors. We are new owners just ofver 2 years and when we purchased our city property there was a old fence and bushes on our property . The neighbor approched my husband to replace the old fence as we were in the process of painting and moving. My husband gave a vebal OK thinking that this was something that would be talked about once we moved in. Within a day this neighbor and another neighbor removed the fence and cut down the bushes. My mother questioned them about whether they were sure where the property line was and the answer was that the 2 previous owners never could agree on the property line. We have had the land surveyed and the neighbor who says she is a lawyer does not agree with the surveyed stakes and tell us that they probally own the land since the previous owner and now them have maintained the land all the way to our house foundation. Our lot size is only 40 ft wide a small old city lot. They do have a picket fence in the front that does cross over onto our property to our house. What can we do to make sure that our small house lot stays ours.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

justalayman

You do have a current survey, yes?

If so, then call the police the next time the neighbor trespasses. She wouldn't "own" anything unless she went to court in a suit to quiet title and recieved title to the land as a result.

as to the bushes; if they were on your property and you are injured by their removal, sue the neighbor for the value of the bushes.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">