• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Property line and retaining wall

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

snc10

(Ohio) I have a retaining wall along my property line. The wall is physically on my property (verified by a survey). The wall holds in my neighbors property (their yard is higher than mine). The wall needs repaired......who pays for the repairs??

Also, one neight currently has a fence that is partially over the property line. What is the best way to deal with this......he is not a reasonable person....

snc10

It was installed at least 80 years ago....before we owned the property so I don't really know.....is there a way to find that out??

justalayman

Kind of doubtful.

I suspect the wall was built when whomever built your house graded out the build site. If so, then it is your responsibility to pay for the maintenance of the wall.

The reason I believe it is your wall is, it is on your side of the property line and usually, it is the lower property that needs the retaining wall when they level their build site. They would put the wall on their property. Somewhat unusual to have the guy with the higher ground build a retaining wall since he would have to fill in everything the wall was intended to hold back. If that was the case, you just level the ground at a lower level.

as to the other fence; any idea how long that fence has been there?

snc10

The fence was built about a month ago. I asked him not to build it until we got the survey complete. He did it anyway.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">