• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Property lines & Building a fence

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

buzzStPoint

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Hello, I live in Stevens Point Wisconsin.

Here's my issue.

I'm going to be putting up a chain link fence on the side and back yard of my property.
I called the city and they told me as long as I am 6 feet away from the sidewalk, and the fence can be "next" to the property line, just not on it.

I called a surveyer and he located the corners of the property.
Here's where the issue comes.

On the side of my property where I wan't the fence to be there are Evergreens planted. These are planted on the neighbors property. But they are over grown by about 3 feet 4 feet in some..

Now I figure that if they are trimed back to the property line there would be no green on that side. So I figured I would come in about 12 inches.

Can i simply go and cut these?
Should I ask her to cut them? Perhaps offer to cut them for her?

Before the survey I told her I was putting in a fence and asked here where the line was and she barked back at me and said the hedges where on her property.. She wasn't very nice. I figure it's going to be a pain to talk with her..

What are my options here?

justalayman

the trunk of the hedges may be on her property but it is apparent the some of the branches and foilage is on your property.

although you do not want to interact with the neighbor, I would suggest doing so. Let her know that her hedges hang over your property line and since you will be installing a fence, you will need to cut anything overhanging your property. (you have that right). If she has a problem with it, ask her for a solution that would allow you full use of your property. Bottom line, she can move them orcut them or you can cut them. Either way, you have a right to have them removed from your property.

just to be clear; do not cut anything that is not encroaching on your property.

buzzStPoint

It never hurts to ask..

Although it seems like she was avoiding me. Perhaps she was. But I kinda walked up to her just after she pulled into the driveway.

Reminded her I was putting up the fence this weekend. I showed here where the property line was, and told her I was coming in 12 inches because the hedge would be bare to the trunk.

Her only thing was like, "You'll have to wait till my husband comes home, he's out of town for a while and I dont really know when he will be back to trim them up."

I told her I can cut up the hedge if she wants and she had no problem with it.. Said go ahead.

So I cut away about 2-3 feet of the bushes.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">