• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Property missing do I have to pay for it?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cpeaslee30

:confused:What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Maine

Where I am living is above the landlords garage, she lives right beside me! She has been horrific towards us since the first months past and we've now been here since February. I've got three children, ages 13, 10 and 9. Once in a while they would play out back with a neighbor boy and their 13 year old girl! We've been having other problems with them but I wont post since it'll take forever on here but i"ve posted two posts already under landlord and tenant issues, this is yet another issue we've been having with her for the past two months now! Our stairs to get inside are out back of the garage, out back there's a chimney on the chimney there was these old rusted wrought iron fire poker and shovel for there outdoor fire pit that's also old and rusted! (Her father sold her this place three years ago, her father is my mother inlaws Husband) Hes told us that the fire poker and shovel has been there for a long time when he owned the place. These people are always broke and looking for money! I've had a scare I don't know how many times that the lights were going to be disconnected because she don't pay her lights like she's supposed to! (just so you see what I'm dealing with), one day she was flipping out, she wanted to know where her fire place poker and shovel was! She stated to my husband that she wanted that found by tonight either find it or replace it! We looked all over the place, the kids said they never touched it and she said that the kid next door wouldnt' do it it's been here all this time and it's never been lost, so you need to replace it. We didn't want problems as we have to live near her and she is "Crazy!" :eek:
So we got our things together and was heading out to Home Deopt to replace her fire poker and shovel, that if my kids "lost it" then woudln't it be in the yard someplace??? Not, no where at all?! Kind of coinsidental!!!

So as I'm in the Jeep and the kids are in there, my husbands letting her know that we're leaving(since she was staring him down like she's going to kill him, which we get this kind of harrassment all the time) and he says' We're going to Home depot and buying another poker and shovel. She yells "Oh NO! :mad:You will wait until I find out how much they cost, I know that those were special those were long pokers and shovel and their very VERY EXPensive!!:mad: I'll tell you where and how much they cost and you can give me the cash for them!!!About two months have past now and she's now giving us (mind you nothing going on here at all, our rents always paid on the first first thing in the a.m. we're very quiet and clean people, I mean this truthfully) puzzled because we get three documents from her boyfreind, One saying he's upping the rent 150.00 more and wants it by the first which is illegal he needs to give 45 day writte notice and it's illegal to do in retaliation of someone voicing our rights which we did about twenty days before his letter and then another letter stating he's evicting us,didn't state a reason as to why, which is legal, I know, in maine as long as we don't have a lease and we dont we're tenants at will!! Yah! NOT! :rolleyes: and want us out by the fifteenth of July! Then the third notice states after looking around we found that the price is normally fifty dollars a piece so they wont us to pay fifty for the fire poker and fifty for the fire shovel! We want 100.00 from you most immediately! My husband walks outside and of cousre she's there with her wonderful i'm gonna kill you look an says Are you going to give me the money now or what? Because he was leaving. He says nicely, "i'm going to do the best I can!" We had just received this notice on the twentieth at six thirty at night and an hour later if that she's yelling about her money!!!! Since then its been several days and she's texting us constantly, we've given her 10.00 so far towards it becasue that's all we had on us, and the next day she is texting again,wanting now 105.00, umm..??? Wow you pay ten and I owe even more, now finally my question is do i legally have to pay for this?? We never admitted to losing it! Our kids didn't lose it,why are we having to replace it!! What's my legal rights with this situation and what can I say?? SHe's making life hell here for us, we're looking believe you me, were looking but it makes it darn hard when I've got three children, my sons birthday is the 28th and shes' doing this crap to us! :( Why is there such mean hateful people in this world. Her own father cant' get over how she treats people, he says she can't live with anyone! :rolleyes: HELP!!What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

154NH773

All you needed to say was; "My landlord wants me to pay for tools that he says my children lost, and he's raising my rent contrary to the terms of my lease. What are my legal rights?"

The answer I'd give would be to either pay for the tools, or if you feel the accusation is false, then don't pay.
You are probably within your rights to refuse payment of additional rent that is contrary to your lease.

All the rest is irrelevant.

OHRoadwarrior

I wouldn't pay for the tools. Your only reason to pay for them was to not get evicted. Tell her that, along with "blow it out your ear".

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">