• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Protest in residential neighborhood

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dannymac

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Mass.

There is an old man in my mother's neighborhood who operates a blog about local issues. He recently put up an outrageously racist post about a local African American town official, and the small minority population is threatening a sign carrying,song singing type of demonstration in front of the man's house.

My Mom is quite elderly and terrified that the protest might get out of control.

The protesters say they'll be peaceful, but the old guy is talking (on his blog) about loading his gun and shooting them.

"It’s time to lock and load and take up watch for XXX, and her army from XXX Road, descending on my road to do great bodily harm to me."

Not to worry, I just have to find my little souvenier that fell out of my garbage truck at Castle AFB in California, and I'll be able to handle 25, or more, by just lifting my hand."

The only one threatening to do "great bodily harm" is this old Korean War Vet. The group has stated that they want him to stop comparing their elected official to a female slave from the civil war, and also quit referring to her as an "Auntie Tom".

I can understand wanting to peacefully protest racism at a town hall or other public place, but they are talking about 200 people standing in front of the man's house, singing Kumbaya and throwing flowers on his lawn. It sounds harmless enough, except for the fact that the old guy might shoot somebody!

Can people legally gather and protest in front of this guy's house? Do they need permission from the town? Can they be arrested?

What's scaring Mom is that the group will not announce the date and time of the protest, and she doesn't want to be home if bullets are going to fly around her house. The old man doesn't really leave his house much so he doesn't really bother his neighbors, except for the crap he writes on his blog.

drewguy

Call the Supreme Court!

Yes, they can protest. Yes, there may be town or state rules governing some of their conduct (e.g., can't stand in road, have to stay off property, etc.).

Alert the police that this will happen and the threats, but I'm guessing the guy is more talk than action.

BTW, there is a greater chance that threatening people with shooting on a public blog is against the law than a peaceful protest gathering violates the law.

dannymac

Thank you. I've looked over his blog, and he is more talk than action, but he sounds like his mind is slipping. He's been operating the blog for several years and although he's very mean spirited, he's never promoted any sort of violence before now.

The cops said they don't prevent crime, they "only respond to it", so as usual they are worthless.

Our community is over ninety percent white, and the majority of African Americans living here, unfortunately, live below the poverty level in a concentrated crime-ridden part of town. Their councilwoman has a PhD in education, has served on the school board, and several other local committees, and works hard to represent her people. The blogger put up a big picture of "Prissy" from Gone With The Wind, as if she were the councilwoman. He has called her an "Auntie Tom" and loads of other insults in the past, but "the Prissy incident" is what started the public outcry. The most amazing part is the blogger swears he's not a racist!

JustAPal00

Call the Supreme Court!

Yes, they can protest. Yes, there may be town or state rules governing some of their conduct (e.g., can't stand in road, have to stay off property, etc.).

Alert the police that this will happen and the threats, but I'm guessing the guy is more talk than action.

BTW, there is a greater chance that threatening people with shooting on a public blog is against the law than a peaceful protest gathering violates the law.
Call the police or call the township. The Westboro Baptist Church was just prevented from protesting here because there were no sidewalks, none of the people around gave them permission to use their land, and it is illegal to stand on a public road.

Mass_Shyster

From what I've seen, there don't appear to be sidewalks on your mother's street.

Your mom should call the organizer of the protest and offer her front lawn, in exchange for notice of the protest.

I agree the police should be notified.

xylene

Your mom needs to stop being a coward.

If there is a protest, she can leave, or she can take shelter in her home.

Call the police.

Right now all you have is heated rhetoric.

A racist blog, and your mom is running for the hills? Pathetic.

dannymac

the old hate blogger is 77. My mother is 89. She can't "run for the hills" or anywhere else. I don't think being afraid of a crazy neighbor sitting at his window with a loaded gun makes my elderly parent a coward!

I called the organizers and they promised to give me advance notice of their demonstration. I will drive down (2 hours) and get her away from the place when necessary.

This guy swears he's not a racist:

Citizen for Open Government: Is Debra Dagwan, PHD, the reincarnate ?Prissy? (Butterfly McQueen) from Gone With The Wind?

dlw99

Your mom needs to stop being a coward.

If there is a protest, she can leave, or she can take shelter in her home.

Call the police.

Right now all you have is heated rhetoric.

A racist blog, and your mom is running for the hills? Pathetic.
Pathetic? Really? What if the kids from Columbine had given a head's up on their blog? You'd have dismissed it as "heated rhetoric" too, huh?

I just looked over that guy's blog. I don't see any occasion where he ever threatened to shoot somebody in the past.

If the cops aren't taking it seriously, you might want to show those violent threats to the district attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">