• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Pruning a neighbor's tree

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

janna nikkola

What is the name of your state? California.

My neighbor has a very large oak tree with branches overhanging the fence separating our two properties. The tree is now causing problems in that a portion of my property is now shaded by this tree so my own plants and shrubs do not receive enough sunlight. I have approached my neighbor to alert her that I plan on having an arborist prune the tree to alleviate the problem, and her reaction was very hostile. I don't want to have a feud with a neighbor, but I do not want her tree overhanging onto my property. It appears she will not allow the arborist's employees to enter her property and climb into her tree (which would be the best way to properly prune the tree), so now all pruning must be done from my side of the fence. Are there any legal issues I should be aware of before commencing this pruning work?

Last edited:

LindaP777

Are there any legal issues I should be aware of before commencing this pruning work?
Make sure the arborist knows exactly where their property line is. He may cut to there and no further. FYI - this is not the best way to prune a tree - the best way is to follow the branch back to a larger branch and cut where it starts, but he can not do that w/o your neighbors permission.
Talk to the neighbor and explain her options to her. You are legally allowed to cut to the property line, but would rather cut the proper way and the way that's best for the tree - her choice. Tell her you want her to be happy, but you need a little more sunlight on your property. Get her involved in the project and get her input.

divgradcurl

What is the name of your state? California.

My neighbor has a very large oak tree with branches overhanging the fence separating our two properties. The tree is now causing problems in that a portion of my property is now shaded by this tree so my own plants and shrubs do not receive enough sunlight. I have approached my neighbor to alert her that I plan on having an arborist prune the tree to alleviate the problem, and her reaction was very hostile. I don't want to have a feud with a neighbor, but I do not want her tree overhanging onto my property. It appears she will not allow the arborist's employees to enter her property and climb into her tree (which would be the best way to properly prune the tree), so now all pruning must be done from my side of the fence. Are there any legal issues I should be aware of before commencing this pruning work?
You should also check your local ordinances. Many cities have now adopted rules to protect large trees, or trees designated "heritage trees." You may very well need a permit to prune the tree.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">