• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Public/dog park? Neighbors don't like it

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dnedry55

City of New Orleans. The background:

There is a public park in the heart of the French Quarter named 'Cabrini.' People bring their dogs here off-leash, unofficially, and for at least a decade (to my understanding) the police have always stopped by momentarily to observe what was happening within, and ensure that the people in the park maintain peaceful and quiet enjoyment of the space. Domestic altercations (almost never involving dogs) occur (again, in my experience) one to two times per year.

The situation:

Two days ago it became apparent that somebody had recently moved into the vicinity, disturbed by the fact that Cabrini is, and has historically been, a 24/7 park. He began sealing the park's gates off with bicycle locks, some of which have mysteriously disappeared (been cut down).

I have heard third-person stories of this individual claiming to know 'somebody who knows' 'somebody' who owns the park, and that a new curfew has been established at 9:00 PM sharp. No one I know has seen anything official to this effect, except of course for the (rather unofficial) bicycle locks.

My question:

I would like to post signs informing this individual that he is stepping completely out of his bounds in assuming ownership of a public park. My profession doesn't deal much with 'green space' or really anything legal, so I am looking here for a point in the right direction. I can find nothing in the CFR, and can't even find any complete online publication of the 'Louisiana Code.' Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much for your time,

John_DFW

Contact the owner or official responsible for the park and clarify the hours of operation in writing. Inform them of the locks and ask if the park is locking the gates.

154NH773

I would like to post signs informing this individual that he is stepping completely out of his bounds in assuming ownership of a public park.
This is a matter for the municipal authorities, NOT YOU. Call your local parks department, town or local government entity, and ask for clarification of the park's status. Tell them that a private individual is denying access to the park with a personal lock. You are a taxpayer and object.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">