• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Public road through property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? Upstate NY

Hello--

About 25 years ago, my family purchased a rural camp property. No survey was done until I had a survey done recently when I had deed transferred to me. The survey showed that a large portion of the property was sucked up by a public road (approximately 1/3 of the total property) that leads to approximately 5 residences (dead end road). There is nothing in the deed about this road. Taxes are paid on the full size of the lot. (The total lot size is just over an acre)

Is there anything I can do to reclaim this property? If not, is there anything I should do to have the taxes on the property reduced, or force the municipality to pay for the property -- even retroactively?

Can I be really mean and install a toll booth on the road? (ok, I'm just joking)... :D

Thanks for any advice!

JETX

gr8smile1966 said:
Is there anything I can do to reclaim this property? If not, is there anything I should do to have the taxes on the property reduced, or force the municipality to pay for the property -- even retroactively?
Property issues can very quickly become complex and require access to deed records, etc.
I suggest you take your documents and research to a local property attorney.

JETX--

Thanks for the reply. Obviously, hiring a lawyer would be the best way of handling this. Unfortunately, I do not have the amount of money a lawyer would require at this time. I was hoping for advice on what I can do before I go to the extent of hiring a lawyer, as I am a pretty smart person and can do research for free as opposed to paying a lawyer $150 an hour to look up public records. I was also hoping that some of the people on this forum might have come across a similar situation and might enlighten me as to what types of issues my situation may come forth when I pursue this.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">