• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question about placing sign on anothers property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

squeed

State is NJ. I am trying to start a small business in my town and one of the methods that I am using to advertise are vinyl banners that have my message and website. There is a corner store on our main town highway that has been closed for the last 6 months and it is on the edge of this highway. There were 2 polls sticking out of the ground that I used to tie my banner there for traffic to see.

Today I received a call from someone that claims to represent the building owner who was very upset that I placed the banner on those polls and cited that it was private property and that the property owner wanted to take action against me etc ...

I'm not looking for any trouble, I just want to get my small business off of the ground. I didn't realize that it was private property there, It was near their closed store, but I thought that it was town property since it touched the highway.

Someone cut the banner down so it isn't there anymore which is fine. Like I said, I'm not looking to cause anyone any issues.

My question is, if they want to make something of this, how much trouble would I get in for this type of thing?

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">