• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question about property lines

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

neenee1016

What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania

Our neighbor has huge pine trees running down the property line. Some of them are dead or half dead & leave debris all over the deck. The pollen & pine needles from the live trees have ruined my outdoor furniture with yellow-green stains. Is this something I could take to small claims court to have them removed? I am sure the trunks are on their property but the branches hang over on our property. Besides the filth that blows onto my deck, the pinecones are constantly being flung into my yard from the lawn mowers. I don't want to cause her grief (she is a senior & her husband past away last year) I am tired of the aggravation. I have to "Clean House" everyday just to enjoy the fresh air

Thank you

Janine Fazenbaker

JETX

Our neighbor has huge pine trees running down the property line. Some of them are dead or half dead & leave debris all over the deck. The pollen & pine needles from the live trees have ruined my outdoor furniture with yellow-green stains. Is this something I could take to small claims court to have them removed?
No, for several reasons. The main two are:
1) Small claims court in PA (and in most other states) are for MONETARY claims only.
2) The court will not order the neighbor to remove his trees as they are on HIS property.

I am sure the trunks are on their property but the branches hang over on our property. Besides the filth that blows onto my deck, the pinecones are constantly being flung into my yard from the lawn mowers. I don't want to cause her grief (she is a senior & her husband past away last year) I am tired of the aggravation. I have to "Clean House" everyday just to enjoy the fresh air
You can trim the trees where they overhang YOUR property, but it has to be done from your property (trespass) and cannot cause any harm or damage to the trees.
If the trees are in fact dying, dead or diseased (and you can PROVE it, with expert statements from a tree expert), you might be able to get a court to order the neighbor to remove them as a hazard. Absent that, welcome to the 'burbs'.

neenee1016

Boundary Line??

Hello JETX

I hope I am doing this correctly. I want to thank you for your advice. As I mentioned I don't want to cause a lot of grief over this. We live very close to the Beaver Campus of Penn State & they have a fairly large agriculture department. Most of the trees have at least some dead branches so I am going to see if I can get one of their experts to come & check for me. She is very frugal & I believe she is putting the house on the market. I would even be happy to split the cost just to be done with the filth.

Thank you again
NeeNee

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">