• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question regarding Parking a vehicle

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tomandjerry

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Michigan.

I reside in the city of Madison Heights of Michigan state. My neighbor has some issues with me but here is the situation. I own 5 cars. 2 are outside of my garage which is behind my house (backyard). One has been sitting on our driveway for a few months now since we have to fix it. It DOES have insurance. The last 2 I drive daily. My problem is that my neighbor just asked me when I will remove the cars. I asked her I dont know but what difference does it make? She gave me a lecture about how its against the city code to have non operational cars just sitting there. I told her I have insurance on them but she insisted that I do something about it. She said that she pays the taxes and have to abide by the law and stuff. I told her that the neighbor on the other side of the street has had a car just sitting in his backyard for years and her response to that was that I should report them too. In any case, I would like to know if there is such a thing as what she is referring to. And if it is then what am I suppose to do? My cars, on MY property which I pay taxes for and insurance for the house and the cars. So please let me know if there is anything I should do. I have tried to contact the city but they are closed. I went on their website but didn't find anything particularly referring to my scenario. Thank you again everyone (in advance)!

P.s. My neighbor said that my cars are "Eye sore" to her.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Michigan.

I reside in the city of Madison Heights of Michigan state. My neighbor has some issues with me but here is the situation. I own 5 cars. 2 are outside of my garage which is behind my house (backyard). One has been sitting on our driveway for a few months now since we have to fix it. It DOES have insurance. The last 2 I drive daily. My problem is that my neighbor just asked me when I will remove the cars. I asked her I dont know but what difference does it make? She gave me a lecture about how its against the city code to have non operational cars just sitting there. I told her I have insurance on them but she insisted that I do something about it. She said that she pays the taxes and have to abide by the law and stuff. I told her that the neighbor on the other side of the street has had a car just sitting in his backyard for years and her response to that was that I should report them too. In any case, I would like to know if there is such a thing as what she is referring to. And if it is then what am I suppose to do? My cars, on MY property which I pay taxes for and insurance for the house and the cars. So please let me know if there is anything I should do. I have tried to contact the city but they are closed. I went on their website but didn't find anything particularly referring to my scenario. Thank you again everyone (in advance)!

P.s. My neighbor said that my cars are "Eye sore" to her.
http://library.municode.com/showDocumentFrame.aspx?clientID=10100&jobId=&docID=0

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
I already looked at it earlier but didn't find the answer to my concern. Could you point it out to me incase I missed it?
Sec. 20-71. - Abandoned scrap vehicle procedures.

(a)

As used in this section:

(1)

Registered abandoned vehicle means a vehicle which meets all of the following requirements:

a.

Is on public or private property.

b.

Is seven or more years old.

c.

Is apparently inoperable or is extensively damaged, to the extent that the cost of repairing the vehicle so that it is operational and safe, as required by section 5.71 of the Uniform Traffic Code for Cities, would exceed the fair market value of that vehicle.

d.

Is currently registered in the State of Michigan or displays current-year registration plates from another state.

e.

Is not removed within 48 hours after a written notice as described in section 20-70(b)(2) is affixed to the vehicle.
http://library.municode.com/HTML/10100/level4/PTIICOOR_CH20PO_ARTIVCUDIPEPR_DIV2ABMOVE.html#PTIICOOR_CH20PO_ARTIVCUDIPEPR_DIV2ABMOVE_S20-71ABSCVEPR

Ben T

Some thoughts - I could see someone not appreciating multiple cars on public, or private property. Especially if they're not good looking. On the counter -side I don't see much in the way of the ordinance forcing you to do anything. Personally, I'd tell her to bugger off. If it gets real bad I might just buy a car cover and be done with it so that the older car doesn't offend as much. :D

sandyclaus

Some thoughts - I could see someone not appreciating multiple cars on public, or private property. Especially if they're not good looking. On the counter -side I don't see much in the way of the ordinance forcing you to do anything. Personally, I'd tell her to bugger off. If it gets real bad I might just buy a car cover and be done with it so that the older car doesn't offend as much. :D
Bad advice.

There's a reason why these inoperable vehicles are covered by local ordinances that require their removal - even from private property. It's not just for aesthetic reasons. These vehicles often leak hazardous chemicals (such as fuel, lubricants, and antifreeze) which can be dangerous to children, pets, and the environment, but also serve as housing or hiding places for bugs, vermin, and animals (pets and strays, as well as wild animals), children, and criminals on the run.

Bottom line is that just being an eyesore is only one reason why cities enact and enforce abandoned vehicle removal ordinances. Don't be so quick to recommend that someone just ignore such complaints. In some cases, the fines and other consequences of doing so can be fairly steep.

154NH773

Sec. 20-70. - Abandoned vehicle procedures.

(a)
All vehicles which are parked or located in an unenclosed area on public or private property for a period of more than 72 hours, which do not contain current motor vehicle license plates, shall be deemed to be a disabled abandoned automobile and shall be removed in accordance with the provision of this section.
It doesn't matter whether you have insurance, it only matters whether the vehicle is licensed.

There may be other ordinances that apply (although I have not researched them), regarding maintaining a public nuisance, or operating a junk yard. People are entitled to complain if your actions affect their property value.

Ben T

Bad advice.

There's a reason why these inoperable vehicles are covered by local ordinances that require their removal - even from private property. It's not just for aesthetic reasons. These vehicles often leak hazardous chemicals (such as fuel, lubricants, and antifreeze) which can be dangerous to children, pets, and the environment, but also serve as housing or hiding places for bugs, vermin, and animals (pets and strays, as well as wild animals), children, and criminals on the run.

Bottom line is that just being an eyesore is only one reason why cities enact and enforce abandoned vehicle removal ordinances. Don't be so quick to recommend that someone just ignore such complaints. In some cases, the fines and other consequences of doing so can be fairly steep.
Not necessarily. Seems the owner takes care of these cars. And it's not Superfund site. If it gets bad enough the OP will get a citation related to having multiple cars on property, but in the meantime it seems that he goes about maintaining these in some orderly manner?

FarmerJ

Unless your city has regulations against it then perhaps you can put up one of them aluminum carports Menards / HD sells ?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">