• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Regarding neighbor's dangerous tree

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Circuit

Hello all, I live in Connecticut. I have two questions regarding my neighbor's HUGE tree. When I say huge, I mean it. This thing is possibly the biggest tree in my entire town.

1.) Not long ago, some big branches fell from it onto my property. It's a mess and a saw needs to be used to clean it up because the branches are so big. There was no property damage. I'm just wondering, does he have any legal responsibility in cleaning up the mess? I'm assuming no since it naturally fell on my property but I just want to make sure. My family has a good relationship with my neighbor. He's a really nice guy and he actually has agreed to clean it up whether it is his legal responsibility or not.

2.) This tree looks weaker and weaker every year. If a bad enough storm occurs, a good chunk of it could severely damage my house and possibly even be life-threatening. I hate to bother him about this because again, he's a nice neighbor and we have a great relationship with him. I know nothing about property law but could we possibly get the town or state to do something about this without having either one of us fork out money to get rid of this thing?

Thanks in advance everyone,
Tyrone

Last edited:

rowz

If you are truly worried about it and want to try your best to not totally destroy your relationship with the neighbor you should be prepared....to spend a few $$.

Get a certified/licensed arborist who will examine the tree and write you a report stating the condition of the tree and their belief in the likelihood of its falling. Then present that to the neighbor [[only via CM/RRR] and requesting that they deal with it insuch a manner that it will no longer be a danger to you.

If they refuse & it does harm you then you will be able to litigate the resultant damages and have THE PROOFS that you will need to prevail.

You would also be well served to check your local County & State regs regarding such just to be sure.

The aborist/expert witness writings and subsequent [[if needed] testimony will be invaluable.

OH......its PRIVATE PROPERTY why you expect eh gov't to take of your responsibilities. It is not an entitelment. :-/

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">