• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Regarding sidewalk being a tripping hazard??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

BrianPickles

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio, My question is regarding my sidewalk. Sometime this summer, in the city where I reside, they were conducting property assessments and giving out warnings for items that they felt were in disrepair. I received a warning concerning my sidewalk. My original sidewalk had been dug up, re-balanced, and re-poured about 11 years ago and still looks great, except one block that has lifted that is adjacent to the small tree that the city had planted there years and years ago. The lift is about 1.5 inches, and nowhere near as bad as most of my neighbors. I went into court this morning to answer what has become a citation, and the judge said that the citation reads that the sidewalk creates a tripping hazard which is punishable for up to 6 months in jail and a $1000.00 fine. I really do not want to go to jail, but if the judge could walk down my street, I am certain that she could find 10 sidewalks that are worse. Any suggestions???

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio, My question is regarding my sidewalk. Sometime this summer, in the city where I reside, they were conducting property assessments and giving out warnings for items that they felt were in disrepair. I received a warning concerning my sidewalk. My original sidewalk had been dug up, re-balanced, and re-poured about 11 years ago and still looks great, except one block that has lifted that is adjacent to the small tree that the city had planted there years and years ago. The lift is about 1.5 inches, and nowhere near as bad as most of my neighbors. I went into court this morning to answer what has become a citation, and the judge said that the citation reads that the sidewalk creates a tripping hazard which is punishable for up to 6 months in jail and a $1000.00 fine. I really do not want to go to jail, but if the judge could walk down my street, I am certain that she could find 10 sidewalks that are worse. Any suggestions???
Fix your sidewalk...and complain about each and every other sidewalk that is in disrepair until they are ALL fixed. Easy!

homestead

Easy Fix

The lift is about 1.5 inches, and nowhere near as bad as most of my neighbors. Any suggestions???
GOOD: A $3.00 bag of Quickcrete, water, plastic bucket, trowel, and 20 minutes to mix and form a slight slope from flat to edge of lifted joint.

BETTER: Add a small piece of foam weatherstriping to the raised edge to provide an expansion joint.

BEST: If you really want a more lasting fix, buy a small amount of cement bonding agent from your home building supply store. Clean and applie to surface before spreading cement.

Kiawah

or:

- hire someone with a power concrete cutter (or rent one at HomeDepot), to horizontally slice off the one edge that is raised, making it flat and level with the other.

- hire that guy to cut down thru the 3" sidewalk, approximately a 6" slice across the sidewalk width. Back fill that with a bag or two of concrete, even with the tops of the pieces on both sides.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">