• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Relocate Driveway Easement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ikanuba

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oregon

Hello

My wife and I are in the process of buying a 40 acre parcel of land in Oregon and there is a property to the North of us which has a deeded easement from 1975 that goes right through the middle of our property and front yard. We are planning to start a farm with livestock and would like to move the road to the edge of our property so that we don't have to worry about animals escaping or being hurt as well as people driving through the middle of our front yard.
Ultimately we are trying to see if we can move the easement and what type of easement do we need to create if we can move it. We've been told that a gravel road can cost upwards of $20,000. We were hoping to just clear a path, remove trees and stumps and create a dirt road that is passable?

Below is the deeded easement and a picture of our current situation.

XXXXXX does hereby grant, bargain, sell and convey assigns, that certain real property, with the tenements,
Hereditaments and appurtenances thereunto belonging or appertaining, situated in the County of Coos, state of
Oregon described as follows, to wit:

The NE quarter of the SW quarter of Section 28, Township 23 south, Range 14 West of the Willamette Meridian,
Coos County, Oregon, EXCEPT a parcel heretofore conveyed to xxxxxx et al in book 286, page 351, Deed records of Coos Country, Oregon described as follows: Beginning at a pipe post at the center of said section 28; thence North 88 37' West along the quarter section line 66 feet; thence South 1.6 feet to an iron rod post and continue the same course and additional 104 feet to an iron rod; thence East 66 feet to an iron rod post; thence continue the same course an additional 5.7 feet to the quarter section line; then North 3 10' West along the quarter section line 104.3 feet to the point of beginning. TOGETHER WITH the right of ingress and egress thereto over and across an existing roadway, together with the right to maintain, construct and reconstruct the same 30 feet in width, from a point on the south boundary of the above described parcel and extending Southerly to public road.

Subject To:
1. Rights of the public in streets, roads and highways
2. Easement, including the terms and provisions thereof as disclosed by contract of sale to xxxxxx recorded Jan. 28, 1975 bearing microfilm no. 109.320

To have and to hold the above described and granted premises unto the said grantees as tenants by the entirety, their heirs and assigns forever.
And the grantor hereby covenants to and with grantees and the heirs of the survivor and their assigns, that grantor is lawfully seized in fee simple of the above granted premises, free from all encumbrances, except as set forth above, and that grantor will warrant and forever defend the said premises and every part and parcel thereof against the lawful claims and demands of all persons whomsoever, except those claiming under the above described encumbrances.
The true and actual consideration paid for this transfer, stated in terms of dollars is xxxxxx.
In construing this deed and where the context so requires, the singular includes the plural and all grammatical changes shall be implied to make the provisions hereof apply equally to corporations and to individuals.

Thank you
Ikan

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I would suggest that you speak with your neighbor about this. If the neighbor is agreeable, then I suggest that you retain a local real-estate attorney to make sure things go smoothly.

Ikanuba

Thank you Zigner...I forgot to include that the neighboring property was a forclosed property and has just now entered into the "Pending" status. We are trying to find out who the new neighbors are before we purchase our property so that might consult with them, but might not be able to. If the property is still in pending status and the sale has not actually gone through yet, would we need to get approval from the bank that owns the property or wait for the new owners to take possession of the property.

We are currently looking into getting a lawyer as well.

Thank you very much!!!

Ikan

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Based on the ownership status of the neighboring property, I believe you will definitely need an attorney.

tranquility

While an attorney is never the wrong answer, I am uncertain as to what he can do before the OP gets agreement from the property owner. Moving an easement is not really a cause of action. The OP can't force those who benefit from the easement to take a different one. Ask, not tell. I suppose an attorney could better navigate the shoals of REO property, but not because he is an attorney.

Ikanuba

Hi Tranquility

Thank you for your advice. In regards to having the dominant property use a different path, I've been told that once/if I get the "ok" to move the easement, I will be dis-mantling the current one and returning it to pasture so that I can have my livestock graze it. Otherwise I would have to put in like 4 gates with locks so that I can create separate paddocks for livestock, which would require those using the easement to get out of their car 4x to unlock each gate. I'm guessing this would be a pain in the butt and I don't want to make it unpleasant for the new owners.

Thanks again for any and all help!
Ikan

justalayman

the first thing to consider, to me, is; is the current easement a gravel road, paved road, dirt road, wagon track trail, or simply the writing on the deed?

If you move the easement, unless the dominant tenants agree to something other, expect to install exactly what is currently in place. The easement gives the right to construct so either the easement was granted with the style of road already place or the dominant tenant had built it to be as it is. In either case, you would be required to provide the same type of road surface back to the dominant tenant, of course, barring an agreement to something different by the dominant tenant. Don't expect anybody to accept anything less than what is there without compensation. Since cost was a concern for you, what you consider doing may be affected by the cost to provide an equivalent roadway.

as to moving the easement; I saw nothing in the Oregon statutes that speaks to the issue. There may be case law that controls though. I have seen rulings or statutes in different states that either allowed the movement of the easement and that denied the movement of the easement. I would suggest prior to addressing the neighbors, you undertake such a case law search or speak with a lawyer who can do this for you so you know your position and what rights you have prior to even broaching the subject with them.

If you do move the easement, you should have an grant describing the new location and rules attached to your deed (and show which property benefits from the easement) as well as having the current grant cancelled. The neighbor would also have to have such an agreement attached to their deed.

and just a note: there is no such area as you have described in your post. either you used a fictitious location or made a mistake in what you wrote. If you utilize your stated location and extrapolate a position based other locations, you would get really wet as you are in the ocean.

Last edited:

tranquility

In the alternative, the OP can go to some general information site and find if there are any theories he can end or move the easement upon. Something like:

http://www.water-law.com/resources/Easements.htm

If something comes up which fits the facts, maybe he can go to an attorney then. It would be way cheaper to have an attorney research specific facts than to write a journal article on rights.

ecmst12

Otherwise I would have to put in like 4 gates with locks so that I can create separate paddocks for livestock, which would require those using the easement to get out of their car 4x to unlock each gate. I'm guessing this would be a pain in the butt and I don't want to make it unpleasant for the new owners.
I'm guessing this would be more than a pain in the butt, it would be you interfering with the use of their easement and could land you in hot water. If they don't agree to moving the easement, you would need to fence along the road, so that there was NO interference with their access to the road.

Ikanuba

Hi Guys

You all rock! Thank you very much for the information.

I just heard back from our lawyer and sure enough the easement can be moved and as you stated, it would have to be par with the easement that is currently there, hence I would have to pay for a gravel road which would cost in the neighborhood of about $20 - $50,000 dollars...Looks like i'm out of luck as we don't have that kind of money to spend on a road we won't even be using!!!

Thanks again for all the advice and information!
This forum is the best....

Ikan

Mass_Shyster

You may have another option, depending on your finances.

If you purchase the other property (dominent estate - the property benefitted by the easement), the easement will be automatically terminated by merger, because both properties will now have the same owner.

Go ahead and make a new dirt, unimproved road. Sell the formerly dominent estate and grant an easement over the new, unimproved road. Or, if there is no real need for the easement, skip the new road and sell the other lot without an easement.

justalayman

If you purchase the other property (dominent estate - the property benefitted by the easement), the easement will be automatically terminated by merger, because both properties will now have the same owner.

Go ahead and make a new dirt, unimproved road. Sell the formerly dominent estate and grant an easement over the new, unimproved road. Or, if there is no real need for the easement, skip the new road and sell the other lot without an easement.
just a bit of clarification to make this effective:

title to both properties would have to be identical. If just you are on the title to the one property, only you can be on the title to the other. You and wife on title of one, you and wife on title to other. They also have to be held in the same manner; tenants in common (with the same % of share if specified), joint, whatever.

154NH773

Let me get this straight. The deed you quoted was the deed for the property you intended to buy; correct? If so, then the easement across that property is described in another document.
Subject To:
1. Rights of the public in streets, roads and highways
2. Easement, including the terms and provisions thereof as disclosed by contract of sale to xxxxxx recorded Jan. 28, 1975 bearing microfilm no. 109.320
You need to read the actual easement terms and provisions contained in the referenced microfilm.

Or am I getting this wrong?

Ikanuba

Hi Stevef

That was our ultimate goal, but it appears that someone has entered into a contract to buy that dominant property 3 days before we made the offer on the servient property that has the easement going through it. We immediately put in a backup offer just in case dominant property offer falls through. After talking it over with an attorney, he said we would have to build a weather resistant road (meaning gravel etc.) and it would cost us about $25,000 - $30,000 dollars. Since we need to build a bigger home on the property, due the current one being a small cabin, we decided we would just move the new home we are going to build further away from the current road. I didn't see the value in spending $30,000 to build a road I wasn't going to use. I'd rather put that towards the home I need to build anyways.

Thanks again guys for all your help, I truly appreciate all the information.

Have a great day!
Ikan

drewguy

I'm confused. If the current easement is not improved, why does your attorney believe the new one would have to be improved?

Of course, if it is improved I can understand the point.

This is a negotiation between you and the other property owner (the dominant estate). You will need to offer them some reason to agree to moving the easement. In principle it can be done, but you'll need to bear the legal expenses and throw something in to make the dominant estate owner say yes. If the current road is unimproved, maybe you offer some modest improvements or offer to share the expense of making it a gravel road (if that is what they want), but it's all negotiable.

I personally have no idea what a new road would cost. My guess is your attorney also doesn't--you really would need to speak to a contractor to figure out whether it's worth it.

Before you discard the idea altogether, why not identify the new owner and approach them. Perhaps they won't care and will say "draw up the papers". Or maybe they ask "what's in it for us", and then you make your sales pitch about what you're willing to throw in to make it happen.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">