• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Repairing a Twin Home in Philadelphia

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Critical Mass

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

I've posted this question several times, and can't believe I've gotten no response. You folks are letting me down here!

I own a duplex in Philadelphia. The property right next to me is connected, and is also a duplex.

Our two duplexes share one set of steps in the front, which is protected from the elements by a single overhanging roof.

Lately it looks as if the roof is needing some work. We spoke to the owner of the next property about repairing, securing, or even removing the roof. He said he knew someone good who would come out and look it. That was a year ago.

Since then, we have not seen the owner, and any attempt to get the tenants to contact him result in, "I gave him your message" but we never seem to get a response.

I think it's only fair that we share the cost of repairing/replacing/removing this roof, since it's connected to both of our properties, however I'm getting no cooperation.

Do I have a legal right to tear it down? Who will be responsible if this thing should fall and injure someone? Do I have to take this to court? Thanks in advance.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
You received an answer on 6/15: https://forum.freeadvice.com/showthread.php?t=414806

Please don't keep starting new threads for the same question.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">