• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Repeat Offender Neighbor

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ACB

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NEW YORK

I'm in NY State and here is the situation...my backyard neighbor has a large tree overhanging my property that he is planning to take down in two days. The problem is that they cannot get at the tree without accessing my property. Last time when they did this (two years ago, with my permission) they dropped huge logs in my back yard. This left several deep divets, more or less destroyed my lawn and hedge row, and weakened my retaining wall. We should have sued but didn't because I was dealing with a cancer diagnosis. I had bigger fish to fry--so to speak. But now they are at it again with the same landscaper. Last time, despite my best efforts to communicate with them, neither my neighbor nor the landscaper was willing to take any responsibility for the damage. And now here we go again...what are my rights? Can I forbid them to trespass on my property unless they sign a written consent agreeing to my terms (that they will cover all damages)? Thank you so much!What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Last edited:

154NH773

Can I forbid them to trespass on my property unless they sign a written consent agreeing to my terms (that they will cover all damages)?
Yes, they have no right to trespass without your permission, and they can be held liable for any damage they do if that is your condition for access.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">