• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Repositioned trash cans

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

smallwood

washington DC

I live in a town house that I have owned for 10 years in DC, there are townhomes
on either side. One of them has had the same wonderful renters in it. The owner of the townhouse we had never met. There is a small front lawn, several trees, bushes in between - On each side of this lawn in the back of the bushes is a spot for each owner to put their trash cans. We have paid for the last 10 years for the lawn upkeep, bush replacement, etc. The renters have moved - we have now met the owner, who has told us the lawn is ALL hers, she had a gardening team reposition one of the bushes to the spot where our trash cans go. WITHOUT telling us what she was going to do - we were shocked to see what had been done!her comment was "put your cans in your garage". she is going away till 7/16 when she will decide what's she's going to do. Don't know where our property line ends. Cans have been there more than 10 years, she has done nothing to this lawn since we moved in. We told her we want to put our trashcans where they were. What should we do?

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
washington DC

I live in a town house that I have owned for 10 years in DC, there are townhomes
on either side. One of them has had the same wonderful renters in it. The owner of the townhouse we had never met. There is a small front lawn, several trees, bushes in between - On each side of this lawn in the back of the bushes is a spot for each owner to put their trash cans. We have paid for the last 10 years for the lawn upkeep, bush replacement, etc. The renters have moved - we have now met the owner, who has told us the lawn is ALL hers, she had a gardening team reposition one of the bushes to the spot where our trash cans go. WITHOUT telling us what she was going to do - we were shocked to see what had been done!her comment was "put your cans in your garage". she is going away till 7/16 when she will decide what's she's going to do. Don't know where our property line ends. Cans have been there more than 10 years, she has done nothing to this lawn since we moved in. We told her we want to put our trashcans where they were. What should we do?
You should keep your trashcans on your property. If you don't know where your property is, then you need to find out.

drewguy

I'm a little confused. In all likelihood the property line extends straight out from the common wall between your townhouses. Eventually it gets to the public property at or near the sidewalk (or perhaps set back from the sidewalk). If that's not your situation, then get a survey to establish the property line, and locate your trashcans inside your property line.

BTW, DC municipal regulations require that trashcans be put away except after 6p the night before trash pickup until 8p the day of trash pickup.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">