• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Retaining Wall that never ends

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jemoda

State of PA. I'll do my best to make this as short as possible...about 6 yrs ago, neighbor to the back of me knocks on the door, tells me that my retaining wall-old slate wall-fell on his property. no big deal, he's the one that has to look at it, he'll split the cost w/me. great!. turns out it's a very long old slate wall, involves his next door neighbor and mine. all 4 owners go in together. 91 feet long, about 8 feet high. 12 mos later, one neighbor notices a crack. does a DIY fix-it, never mentions anything to anyone else. this year, we notice a crack on our side, ask about it, find out our neighbor not only noticed it 5 yrs ago, tried to fix it himself, never said anything. so our neighbor gets an estimate to anchor the wall. 12k!!, more that the original wall cost to build! i'm thinking no way... you saw that it was cracking, you never said anything, i'm not paying 3k to fix a wall that we could have made the original contractor come back and fix 5 yrs ago. meanwhile, the original contractor left part of the original wall up, put in back fill to help w/drainage, and then built the new wall... soooo, the new wall is technically not on my property. am i obligated to upkeep the new wall since i contributed to the origination costs if there was no contract saying as much and it's no longer on my property? what is the statute of limitations in PA that we could make the initial builder come back and fix his shotty work even though my stupid neighbor didn't speak up when he first noticed the problem??????:mad:

Cedrus

Greater minds than mine will chime in shortly, but if the part of the wall that was rebuilt is OFF your property line, it would seem that you are not liable for any repair costs.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">