• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Right of way versus selling land

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Maharra

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Hampshire

I have been recently approached by the business owner behind me regarding purchasing a right of way. I am open to granting him a right of way as long as he follows the proper protocols with the town, etc. I've recently learned this business owner doesn't exactly follow the "rules" and have my concerns he is not going to contact the appropriate officials, planning board, regarding this right of way. That said, rather than granting him a right of way would it be better for me to sell him the portion of the land he is interested in? And if so, what is involved in the sale of this land?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Mass_Shyster

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Hampshire

I have been recently approached by the business owner behind me regarding purchasing a right of way. I am open to granting him a right of way as long as he follows the proper protocols with the town, etc. I've recently learned this business owner doesn't exactly follow the "rules" and have my concerns he is not going to contact the appropriate officials, planning board, regarding this right of way. That said, rather than granting him a right of way would it be better for me to sell him the portion of the land he is interested in? And if so, what is involved in the sale of this land?

Thanks in advance.
Another option is a license, where the owner would pay a monthly/annual fee for the usage during that time. That way you could revoce the license at any time.

You should probably contact a local real estate attorney to find out all of your options.

FarmerJ

Suggestion , call your city and ask the zoning desk , First you want to know If a commercial property were to buy land from you how would that limit or restrict your propertys potential ? meaning say you find your self needing to add on to your home would your new lot size restrict things like say adding a pole shed or new 3 car garage ? or other outbuildings? then you want to know if a commercial property is even able to direct traffic or create a second access that may put traffic on a residential road , see you want to know where the city is at with it all. You dont have to hide from them who you are , its entirely possible based on what you already know that the commercial property owner would possibly do it all with out city knowledge if given the chance. Its one of those things that once you open the can of worms you wont have anyway to close it later on if you sell land or grant a easement -permission that is not so well written that your not able to revoke it later on. If you decide to permit use/ access dont do it with out seeing a real estate atty first so you fully understand your rights. Not doing so could cost you money later to fix the mess or even hurt your properties resale value.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">