• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Rights of an Easement (currently my driveway)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hollandhomeownr

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan

I bought my house without a survey, and recently found out that my driveway is actually owned by my neighbor (whose house is about 3 feet off of my driveway- I would like to tear the driveway up and put a new drive on the other side of my house (which is my property)- My question is whethor or not I have the right to use that easement that is on my driveway for any purpose I choose, right now, my neighbor cannot legally use it, or put anything on it, because it is MY driveway but I would like to use that piece of property for other purposes. -So, can I put a fence up, or even tear up the concrete? - or does that easement go away as soon as I stop using that piece of property as my driveway?

Please help.

HuAi

Easement doesn't automatically go away, but you can't use it for any other purpose than defined either (ingress/egress most likely). If you were to move the driveway, neighbor may have grounds to sue to close easement.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">