• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

safety concern

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

fivepals

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia

We live on a cul-de-sac with public sidewalks throughout the neighborhood. One of our neighbors has a large, dense hedge in their front yard (about 5-6 ft high). The hedge borders the public sidewalk on one side, and their driveway on another side. Because of this, they are not able to see the sidewalk (as it approaches their driveway apron) when they are backing out of their driveway. We have young children who often ride scooters, roller skate, etc on the public sidewalk. This neighbor has approached me and expressed concern that they may hit a child when backing out of their driveway, because of their view being blocked by said hedge. I have instructed my children to stop and look before crossing this particular driveway, but fear that they may forget (they are children after all). There are also a number of other chlidren in the neighborhood. I am very concerned that someone is going to be injured. My question is this: Is it not the responsibility of each person to make sure they can safely navigate their driveway, particularly where it crosses a public sidewalk? And if a person has something on their private property which is an impedement to the safety of people on public property (sidewalk), is it not the person's responsibility to rectify that safety hazard?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">