• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Security camera aimed at my house

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

airforce50

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California- My neighbor directly across the street just installed a few security cameras outside. One is aimed directly at my house. I keep the windows and doors closed but I still don't want my neighbor monitoring the front of my house. Does he have a legal right to do this? Can I sue him? What are the privacy laws concerning security camera privacy? I live in San Diego, CA. Thank you

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California- My neighbor directly across the street just installed a few security cameras outside. One is aimed directly at my house. I keep the windows and doors closed but I still don't want my neighbor monitoring the front of my house. Does he have a legal right to do this? Can I sue him? What are the privacy laws concerning security camera privacy? I live in San Diego, CA. Thank you
Have you discussed your concerns with the neighbor?

Yes, he has the right to do that. You don't have any reason to sue him. Don't do anything that you want to be private in a place that could be seen by the general public.

airforce50

Thanks for replying Zigner. Yes, I've talked to my neighbor about not filming my house. He said that its impossible to capture the street without having my house in the cameras view. I'm still very uncomfortable having my house recorded all the time. Doesn't he need my consent?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Thanks for replying Zigner. Yes, I've talked to my neighbor about not filming my house. He said that its impossible to capture the street without having my house in the cameras view. I'm still very uncomfortable having my house recorded all the time. Doesn't he need my consent?
If he's only recording what would be visible to the general public, then no.

adjusterjack

I'm still very uncomfortable having my house recorded all the time. Doesn't he need my consent?
That cracks me up.

You are getting FREE security surveillance of your house and you're unhappy about it?

My neighbor across the street has a camera aimed at my house.

If my house every got broken into or vandalized I'd be as happy as a pig in poop that he got the whole thing recorded.

I suggest you rethink the things in life that bother you cause this sure as hell shouldn't be one of them.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">