• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Septic System on Neighbors Property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Penter

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

The leach field for my septic system extends onto my neighbors property. The system was installed in the 30's and is there is no sign of system failure. Recently I,ve started to receive e-mails from the neighbors lawyer asking what my intentions are, concerning the system. Since the system has been in place for along time before either one of us owned the properties and is working, I told the lawyer that I have no current plans to alter it. My property is to small to install another system other than a holding tank that would be costly and require frequent pumping. What are my options?

Last edited:

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

The leach field for my septic system extends onto my neighbors property. The system was installed in the 30's and is there is no sign of system failure. Recently I,ve started to receive e-mails from the neighbors lawyer asking what my intentions are, concerning the system. Since the system has been in place for along time before either one of us owned the properties and is working, I have no current plans to alter it. My property is to small to install another system other than a holding tank that would be costly and require frequent pumping. What are my options?
**A: why can't you send a letter to the attorney complying with his/her request?

FarmerJ

You should check with your city /county . If there is public sewer available to your property you might be required to connect to it when the septic system or Private well does fail. Your property has been fortunate to have a working septic system for so long , normally the tanks rust out /cave in / or lines become plugged. BTW have you looked into a mound style system? You may be forced into a expensive suit to gain prescriptive use of the other property, wich might be just cheaper in the long run to replace it instead of going to court to sue for a easement.

Cedrus

How much of your leach field is on the neighbor's property? All of it or 50% or 10% ?

If not too much, you might be able to make a detour at the property line and trench back towards your property and add some leach line to make up for the line "lost" over the property line.

HomeGuru

How much of your leach field is on the neighbor's property? All of it or 50% or 10% ?

If not too much, you might be able to make a detour at the property line and trench back towards your property and add some leach line to make up for the line "lost" over the property line.
**A: the % of leach field encroachment does not matter since the field has been in operation since the 1930's.
A prescriptive easement has been established.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">