• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Septic System Outside Property (Florida)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

drc13351

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

Would a home builder ever put a well and septic tank/drain field outside the property lines? How could a builder get away with that? The reason I am asking is I am looking at a house that seems to have a well outside the property line on an empty lot next to it and the surveyor is having trouble finding the septic tank. The property looks too small for a well and septic ( .18 acre) but the previous owner lived in it for 4 years. All the other properties on this street have similar dimensions and are on septic and well. They don't seem to be having any problems. This is why I am confused. If your drain field is in your neighbor's property that neighbor could sue you if the sewage pollutes his well water correct? Has anyone ever seen a property with issues like this? The price of this house looks like a good deal and its a 2003. Maybe its not such a good deal. What could possibly happen if I bought this property?
__________________What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

FarmerJ

Personally If it was me I would look elsewhere The only way to know exactly where the lot line is in relation to the septic system would be a survey. If the well or septic system are on a adjacent lot & does not have a recorded easement then later on it grows into a nightmare. ALSO too you know .18 acre is pretty small EVEN if the others dont seem to have problems you would also want your offer being contingent on water qaulity test and septic system inspection. & review of the county ords for private well and septic users, & learning if city water is in the near future from the county or city . Water test and inspection are good things to do but that doesnt mean that 12/18/24 months down the road that the neighbors wont start screwing up each others wells if they damage the septic systems. One of the most common things that happen is that a home is designed with a 3 BR system and a family of 7 ,8 or even more bodies end up living in it and over loading/damage it. READ up SEPTIC TANKS or Groundwater Pollution From Septic Systems - Auburn Journal there are so many under ground water & septic pollution . At one time in history before there were standards so many homes on small lots had septic systems that screwed up each others water that in some places laundry soaps got into well water and caused tap water to be foamy , especially in large sub divisions where houses were on small lots. ANY way honestly I think thats just too small of a lot for well and septic , Up here where I live new homes must have 2.5 acres in order to have private well and septic just to give them more room and not screw up ground source water.

154NH773

I agree with FarmerJ. Where I live a well and septic must be at least 75 feet apart and cannot be on the footprint of a building. Does that leave enough room on that small lot?

In my town, a small country store may have to close because their septic is failing and the postage size lot will not accomodate a new septic. The alternative is for the store to purchase a $400,000 lot across the street for a septic. That's almost twice what was paid for the store.

Think twice before getting into this nightmare.

FarmerJ

DRC Ive seen many TINY lots in my state be required to have a holding tank which must be regularly pumped out when the signal light shows its close to full. This method can become very costly if the homeowner is careless about how much water is used.

154NH773

TINY lots in my state be required to have a holding tank which must be regularly pumped out
Although that may be a remedy, it may also be very costly. A property in my town is paying $250 per month to pump out its septic tank. A holding tank may be illegal (it is in my state). The property owner in my town changes the pumper contractor every month to avoid being reported, which may be an obligation for a contractor who is aware of the problem.

I would avoid the purchase of such a property, but it's your choice.

Florida Septic Tanks

I am not a lawyer, but I have bought and sold a lot of properties in Florida.
Would a home builder ever put a well and septic tank/drain field outside the property lines?
Yep, happens all the time, no longer legal but that doesn't keep it from happening. I own an old house and the neighbor has an easement to share my septic tank, fortunately he no longer does.
How could a builder get away with that?
In some Fl counties the building inspection process leaves a lot to be desired, it could have been an honest mistake, who knows but it happens.
The property looks too small for a well and septic ( .18 acre)
It is and I wouldn't do it, but in our sandy soils down here it is not uncommon and can work. You need to be sure your well is deep and well sealed, otherwise you'll be drinking your own sewage, or worse your neighbors. Get the well tested and find out how deep it is and how it's constructed.
What could possibly happen if I bought this property?
  1. The bank might not lend you the money if they find out.
  2. You might have to move the septic tank and drain field onto your property, around here that would cost something like $25k because for a lot that small you would need an expensive aerated septic system, it could be as little as $5k if you can get away with a conventional one.
  3. You or whoever lives in the house could get sick from drinking the water.
  4. You might have trouble ever selling the house.
  5. Probably other bad things that I have not thought of.
What I have done in similar situations is make a list of all these things and present it to the seller along with a really low ball offer. If they don't want to sell then I don't buy.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">