• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

sex offender neighbor

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

FloridaLady

My son, his wife and 3 year old daughter rented a duplex last week in Cape Coral, Fl. They just found out their neighbor on the other side is a registered sex offender. They were not informed of this by the realtor. Public records (Rene Labonte) He is listed on the FDLE as a sex offender and on the Lee County, Florida Arrest booking. Is there anything that can be done other than move, which will be hard on them financially?

justalayman

The other guy was there first so not real sure what you suggest might be possible other than your son and family moving.

Antigone*

My son, his wife and 3 year old daughter rented a duplex last week in Cape Coral, Fl. They just found out their neighbor on the other side is a registered sex offender. They were not informed of this by the realtor. Public records (Rene Labonte) He is listed on the FDLE as a sex offender and on the Lee County, Florida Arrest booking. Is there anything that can be done other than move, which will be hard on them financially?
If this was so important to them, why didn't they research this before they moved in?

John_DFW

If you try and find a neighborhood that doesn't contain a registered offender or one close by, and you might be surprised to see how many there are.

I would determine the nature and severity of the crime and do a risk assessment.

Wireless security cameras would be a good idea as well.

NC Aggie

It's not the realtor's job to research sex offenders, as it has been suggested if it was a concern for your son's family then it should have been researched PRIOR to moving into the duplex. I don't believe legally there is anything that can be done and my suggestion is to just plan on moving after the lease expires if they cannot afford to move right away and pay for any costs associated with terminating the lease early.

dmcc10880

Florida's law requires that every lease contain a specific written notice that a, "database containing information about registered sex offenders may be accessed by buyers and tenants."

That said, it would be your son's responsibility (not the real estate agent or landlord) to check the FDLE database prior to entering into a contract.

In the meantime, have your son and dil watch the kids and the neighbor closely or move.

FWIW, there are 24 sex offenders in the zip code where your son lives. Took less than a minute to find that info. ;)

NellieBly

If you try and find a neighborhood that doesn't contain a registered offender or one close by, and you might be surprised to see how many there are.

I would determine the nature and severity of the crime and do a risk assessment.

Wireless security cameras would be a good idea as well.
A friend of mine is a social worker and he says there's one on every block.

NC Aggie

A friend of mine is a social worker and he says there's one on every block.
It wouldn't surprise me! Because if you consider the number of registered and convicted offenders, you have to believe there are at least another 1 or 2 for every 5 that are caught. So my advice to the O.P.'s son is to just take the necessary precautions to protect your family no matter where you reside because these types of predators can strike at your home, parks, public areas, schools, etc.

FarmerJ

Do not forget predatory behavours by persons also Include so called trusted friends and sadly sometimes even folks that are related.

FloridaLady

Thanks everyone for your help. Yeah shame on us for not checking it out prior. I just thought the Realtor should had said something. (if they knew) They do credit checks maybe they should start doing background checks also. Thanks again.

dmcc10880

Thanks everyone for your help. Yeah shame on us for not checking it out prior. I just thought the Realtor should had said something. (if they knew) They do credit checks maybe they should start doing background checks also. Thanks again.
Florida law only requires the disclosure as I described. You can try to change the law.

Gail in Georgia

Suggest that your son find out the specifics on what this neighbor was convicted of that placed him in this sexual offender status.

Not to make light of the matter (I'm a survivor of a sexual assault myself) but a fair number of these crimes involve a young adult having sexual contact with a minor just under the age of legal consent.

Gail

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">